1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Tosh RPTV strong enough?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by blue_harvester, Feb 19, 2005.

1. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought the Toshiba 42PW33 RPTV and I'm having a dilema in that I'm not sure where to put my centre speaker (Eltax Liberty Centre weight:7.4Kg).

I have just ordered on of the optional stands for the TV, it's product code is MV42WH36, but after reading some posts I hear that this stand will drastically change the vieing angle of the screen.

To cut a long story short, is the Tosh strong enough to hold the speaker on top? I have tried it and secured it with blue tac and it seems fine, although I am worried that the screen might buckle slightly under the weight. I could cancel the order for the optional stand?

2. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

I would really appreciate your advice guys so that I can decide to cancel the order for the oprional stand.

3. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think you need to assess the speaker placement issue yourself. I doubt if anyone is going to place the same weight on their same model for several weeks and then report back results! I think it'll be a common sense decision. My Tosh seems quite sturdy.

As Toshiba designed the stand for the TV I doubt if they'd have designed it not to work very well. The stand doesn't raise it that much and at worst you may have to sit more upright.

I have a Tosh RPTV and would be very happy to have it on the proper stand and it's possibly a good location for the speaker too. An alternative ... I dunno what's behind the cloth cover at the base of the screen, but it might just be free space where you could locate the speaker out of sight. Just an idea!? You'd need to unscrew it and look or check out for any images of same on the web.

!!!!!TURN OFF the TV before opening it!!!!!

4. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I tried looking for the dimensions of the optional stand to see if my center speaker would actually fit into it but I've been unsuccessfu, so if anyone out there has this stand could they please measure the height of it?

5. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have you checked the Toshiba Uk web site. I seem to remember that all the various dimensions of things were featured.

6. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I checked but it doesn't seem to give any extra info on that product!

7. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Blue Harvester. I have the same centre speaker as you and decided that the to of my 42WH36 was not strong or wide enough for it.

In the end I bought one of those TV wall mount brackets from Homebase and the speaker fits on it perfectly. Hope the pictures help.

Cheers

Paul

Attached Files:

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    For better or worse,I've had a B&W CDM sat on the top of my Toshiba RPTV for quite some time with no ill effects,and whilst I wouldn't guarantee you wouldnt have problems,it's been OK here.

9. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks blossom for posting those pics. I was gonna buy some brackets to attach to the wall but I want to try and stay away from attaching anything to the walls (the walls are only plaster board anyway and therefore I don't think it would be stron enough to hold brackets).

As I said above I have tried setting the speaker on top of the TV and it seems fine, however I think I'll keep the speaker sitting behind the TV for normal viewing and only sat on top of the TV when watching movies.

BTW I canclled the order for the optional stand.

10. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No problem. I did get the optional stand and have to say found it very useful.
    its just about big enough for my sky box, Pioneer AV reciever, DVD player and VCR. It also just raises the TV about 2 feet which I find to be a perfect viewing height.

Good luck anyway.

Cheers

Paul

11. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the optional stand and the same Eltax speaker as me can you put my mind at ease, does this speaker fit into the optional stand?? If I knew it did I would definitly get one.

Is this your speaker:

http://www.eltax.com/products/salgelektronik.php?varenr=01864

It's just looking closer at the pics you posted the corners of your speakers look more rounded than mine? Is your speaker 175mm in height?

12. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mate I am sorry. It is the Symphony centre speaker I have not the Liberty. The dims are different and the corners are more rounded as you say.

It is 40cm across, 19cm deep and 16cm high.

The space in the stand measures an internal height of 19cm so I guess your speaker would fit. I did have mine in there at one point but it looked a bit lost on its own. Looked OK though.

Hope this has helped.

Cheers

Paul

13. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes this has been a fantastic help, much appreciated mate, thanks again.