1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is topup tv worth it?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by hinesle, Oct 8, 2005.

1. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My situation

I’m just thirty (still wishing I was in my 20’s for those market research companies) , have a wife but no kids (and none for the foreseeable future) and not interested in sky. The only channels I could foresee watching are
    • Discovery
    • TCM
    • Bloomberg
    • Uktvstyle
    • Uktbfood
    • UKTV Gold
    • And the Boxing on British eurosport

So in your opinion is the “content” on these channels
    • worth the money
    • Repeated week after week
    • Poor quality compared to the beeb or ITV (program quality rather than compression)
    •
    Or should I keep the whopping £7.99 a month and spend it on NUTs/Zoo and loaded? ? :devil:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Personally I think TUTV is poor value for money. Most, if not all of their channels are timeshare, so even if there is something you want to watch you may find it is broadcast at a time that TUTV does not transmit that channel.

If you are thinking about getting TUTV I suggest you do your homework and find out what you are likely to want to watch on their channels, and then see if the channel is actually transmitting at the time of broadcast. Then compare the number of programs you will watch and see if you can justify paying £8 a month for them.

To me the cost is definately not worth it, which is why I don't subscribe. Well and the fact that I no longer have a STB that can accept the viewing card required to decode the channels. But you may well find that for you and your wife the added channels do offer VFM, but in the end only you can make that decision.

Mark.

3. Geofbob

Geofbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I certainly don't think that TUTV is worth it. £7.99p.m for 11 channels may at first sight seem reasonable, but compared to the costs of cable or satellite, it's quite expensive. For me, the whole attraction of Freeview is that once the costs of the box have been covered (and mine cost only £50) you can receive some digital channels (inc BBC 3/4, ITV2 & E4/More4 for nothing.

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    TUTV is not worth it anymore at all.....

i had it for a while, but then some channels become freeview anyhow (like E4) and the ones they replaced really didnt do much for me, in fact only channels i was paying for that i bothered to watch much were UKTV Gold and Men and Motors....

tbh you are better off paying a fiver more or whatever it is and getting the most basic sky package....

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Waste of money and don't encorage the parasites we want all FTA on terrestrial

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    me being somewhat prone to overdoing things of course, went from £8 TUTV to £50 a month full blown Sky+ Multiroom...lol

7. hinesle

hinesle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A unanimous opinion then!. Looks like ill keep my £7.99 and spend it elsewhere.

Thanks
    Lea