Is Tivo going to last?

mij

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ask because I have read on another site that Thomson have not made any new boxes for a while. I am concerned about getting one only to find out it is on it 's way out.

cheers
mij

Personally, yes I do. There is a massive market in the states - which will support the company if it gets into trouble over here.
Mags like HCC and What Video do plenty to cover TiVo but it doesn't get as much coverage as the $ky+ box.
TiVo PR ought to promote it more by doing competitions with the HCC site etc. :)

TIVO hardware has been a bit of a disaster in the UK, the whole reason they are turning up dirt cheap is that the manufacturer and retailers are dumping stock. There is no sign of a second generation unit being released in the UK even and even in the US only 450,000 units have been sold (according to a TIVo fianancial report). However with Sony and Toshiba buying into the technology it should appear in other recording devices so the technology will survive just not in it's present form.
TIVO software will be around for a long time though, the subscriptions both monthly and one off should enable the listings services to remain profitable and any new hardware will need that service as it's the software that makes TIVO special not the hardware.

So if you have TIVO now I don't believe you have any worries and if you can pick a cheap one up then go ahead and if you pay the one off subscription with certain credit cards and they do go bust you can claim back the money (So I've read).

Thanks for the info everyone, think I will pop into Comet and get one with the Barclaycard. I have read they have it for £149.99, cannot find it any cheaper (Unbeatable dont seem to be advertising it any more)

cheers
mij

as posted in Special Offers, its available at that price at www.comet.co.uk

I've just thrown the dice :D

Me too. After getting out of stock notices at Currys, Dixons, and another site (that I can't remember), I got one at Comet for £99.

Considering how much I waste on blank tapes these days, if it's any good it'll be worth the £££. Looks like this forum just got a few new members. :)

well, I threw the dice and tried buying the tivo online at comet.co.uk on Thursday night.
On Friday morning I rec'd email telling me that my preferred delivery date was not possible, and would I ring them.
So I did, and arranged for next Saturday.
Last night, I recd another email saying that they were out of stock, and would I ring them.
So I did, and they were.
Apparantly, they recd 700 orders (!) and just plumb ran out of stock. They said that they had not charged my Visa (which is really why I rang back) as my order was not processed until Friday night.
So much for Internet ordering. Would have better to phone and not trust the glow of satisfaction that I had on Thursday that I had got an AV bargain!!

Ditton
:mad:

I must admit I came very close to purchasing a Tivo of late. I think though I shall wait for the Pace dual digi tuner HDD recorder (HCC November - news). Bit of a snip at £350. I know it doesn't have the full functionality of Tivo, but that in turn means there's less to go wrong (in theory at least!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom