1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is tiscali good? Or is it the devil in disguise...

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Frazal666, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone. I am on the verge of getting broadband, finally:clap: ! First, I am looking at the 1MBPS AND phone line for £25 from tiscali. Unlimited downloads, etc. BT has ame speed £30, with 30GB limit, sounded good. Before I get BT, , (I have NTL Currently, not for long...) I wanted to ask if tiscali is a good company (Is it reliable, has it got decent contention, has it got at least 100KbPS Download average, etc).Thanks

2. vince

vince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    quick answer yea they are ok , i was gonna grab the tesco 512 at 19.99 per month but tiscali(24.99) matched them, though their e-mail service is a pain so i use yahoo for that.

3. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Try the ADSL guide In a comparison between four other good ISP's it does quite badly. I have NEVER read one good thing about Tiscali.

4. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, mixed feelings. I'm really confused now, maybe someone can reccomend me another broadband provider that is unlimited and no more than £26 a month. (My mother says its a waste of money to get a very fast internet, so I need a good deal and say its slower...only a white lie). Thanks anyway.

5. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I would not go past Force9.... or PlusNet as they are also known as. I have been with them for nearly 3 years.

Checkout ADSL guide for a review and comparison of them against others to see how good they are.

I also use VOIP, and thier network works better than many for that.

They will also host 3 domain names for you and give you a static address( ...or more) at no extra cost.

If you go with them, drop in my DJBLACK when you register and I will be most appreciative of the referal!!!

D :)

6. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    adslguide also do monthly speed rankings, so you could compare those in the top ten with each other for reliability etc (all on the adslguide site) and pick one

I'm with eclipse, and can't recommend them enough

7. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But thats monthly. Bout to check eclipses website. Check back in 10.

8. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mixed feelings whenever people mention phone line ADSL compared with what you have now cable DSL.

It could of changed but when I "Upgraded" from BT 512K to Blueyonder (similar to ntl) then the speed difference was amazing. Especially at peak times. The contension ration was so bad it slowed down to modem speeds at 6pm where as with blueyonder its contstant.

NTL should be upping their speed for free soon as well I imagine as Bluyonder have just upped my once 1meg to 1.5meg and now 2meg for no price increase.

Robert.

9. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so far seems good, but dont say the speeds. Im guessing Home 1000 means 1MBPS, Home 500 means 500KBPS, etc. Ive also noticed you have to pay for the modem. I can live with that, but is the £58+ Connection include this?

10. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neither Blueyonder nor NTL is available in my area. Dat so sucks, otherwise I would have got broadband years ago(I mean that, as my mother made multiple phone calls and gave up in beginning of 2004). And down to modem speeds? that kinda put me off ADSL Broadband. Please reccomend me any other cable or speedy providers.

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    any ISP using IPStream is good, full speed all the time, cheapest 1 meg line is £16.99 + VAT but a big setup fee

only ISPs using DATAStream are iffy, they are the ones that slow down when lots of people are on.

12. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IPSstream? Ok, next time I look ill check for that. Thanks, but what is meanings of both?