Question Is time to upgrade my 5820k and 980Ti and if so to what? Go Red?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So usually helping other people but thought I would ask this time :D

So my main desktop most of the time is ok but it had a bit of a wobble last week and it was very unhappy and refused to boot getting stuck in a loop and powering down. It took me the best part of half a day to try and get it back, which strangely was a combo of bios resets which failed then reoverclocking ...

Anyway, eventually, it has been working ok in terms of booting but had 2 or 3 blue screens so it might be temperature related and in need of a clean-out etc. so will do that.

In frustration, though I mentioned to SWMBO and she said you haven't had it long and so I double-checked and most of the build is just coming up to 5 years old. As you do this got me thinking...

Currently need more local M2 SSD as have two split between Samsung SM591 (512 + 256GB) + a 2TB SSHD

Spec as stands

i7 5820k (Hex Core) overclocked to 4.4/4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 AIO Cooling
Asus X99-S S2011 Motherboard (Full ATX)
32GB consisting of two lots of VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 (8 sticks in total)
2 x Samsung SM591 (512GB and 256GB)
2TB Seagate SSHD
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GAMING ACX 2.0+
10Gtek® 10GbE PCIE Network Card SFP+
NZXT S340 White Case
Corsair AX860i

At the moment it is hooked up to 2 or 3 1200P HP 24" monitors but depending on the game I might only game on one.

Are there any parts worth carrying over in addition to PSU, 10GbE card and possibly case or should I build from scratch. Will the ram carry over or best to start off with a bit quicker still on less modules.

So do I go Red and build something around AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900X so am doubling the number of cores with around a similar clock speed.

Then thinking of 2TB M2 PCIE 4.0 SSD, doing away with any further local storage and using NAS for bigger stuff.

Just seen videos of the Nvidia 3xxx series but doubt they will be out for September but it is sod law in the PC department. so will be probably getting a 2080Ti of some flavour.

Sorry for long post, thoughts/recommendations anybody?
 

Ono

Well-known Member
OK, well, this is what I would do and why:

Wait. For about 8 months and not upgrade. :D

The rig itself is more than capable at the moment. The GTX 980Ti still holds up for most modern games at 1080p and you have plenty of RAM.

Do a diagnostic on why you the get the blue screens though.

Why 8 months? Well, apart from your PC being fully decent as it stands, the NVidia 3XXX series cards will be out in November. Should you go Ryzen? Absolutely but I would say go for the Ryzen 3700X and not the 3900X.

There you go. Thats is what I would do. :D
 

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I've got a pretty similar build (Cha1ky's New Build "The Cube") and TBH the only thing i can see me doing is the GPU. I currently play at 1440p @ 60FPS. Quite a few games are requiring more than that GPU to hit them numbers maxxed out nowadays. SO personally I think i'm going to go for a new 1440p 144hz monitor and a 270 super or perhaps just wait until the new GPU's land and see where things are at.
 

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Thanks @Ono yep most pressing concern is storage and consolidating both M2 drives onto one. This has two purposes more storage but also giving me back 4x of PCIe lanes that are currently causing my 10GbE card to run slightly at about 1/3 of its normal speed :(

Not sure whether to just buy a 2TB PCIe 4.0 M2 drive and then swap it later.

Also whilst the 980Ti is mainly ok I play a lot of GTA V and stunt racing and frame rate matters a lot. There are various issues in the game that can be exploited by having a really high frame rate to the point where you can knock off up to 10% of a lap time running at a high frame rate. When properly racing everybody locks to 60fps but even then there is a variance depending on the GPU and possibly min frame rate which basically causes the racing to be unfair. I am trying to counter this ...

I hadn't looked at the 3700x as I though the savings is there, if I am going to jump then once every 5 years then a possible doubling of processing power wasn't bad. What motherboard would you go for, seems there is a raft of choices, ideally would have 10GbE onboard.
 

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
SO personally I think i'm going to go for a new 1440p 144hz monitor and a 270 super or perhaps just wait until the new GPU's land and see where things are at.

Yep I am getting itchy fingers and give me something to do. Though to be fair I have a huge list anyway :)
 

Delvey

Distinguished Member
The problems you mentioned sound like it could be a PSU issue. Could be wrong
 

IRobot

Well-known Member
Similar spec to my old PC (i7-5820K, Asus X99-S, GTX980ti, 256GB SM951) but I replaced the 980ti more than a year ago when I found a great deal on an RTX2080.

The rest I waited until a couple of months ago when it got to five years old.

I went with a 3900x for the same reasoning as you. If you're planning on keeping it for the next five years, then doubling the cores from 6 to 12 seems a reasonable thing to do.

X570 boards with 3rd gen Ryzen have a lot more PCIe lanes than an X99 with an i7-5820K CPU so you can load it up with M.2 drives. I've got three in mine but I think there's only a couple of boards that have 10Gb lan built in.
 

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
The problems you mentioned sound like it could be a PSU issue. Could be wrong

Interesting, had not considered that as I thought it might be an issue with memory training. Afaik as I know the PSU has a 10 year guarantee so only halfway through it. :)

How would I prove the PSU was at fault though?
 

moonbeam120

Well-known Member
Interesting, had not considered that as I thought it might be an issue with memory training. Afaik as I know the PSU has a 10 year guarantee so only halfway through it. :)

How would I prove the PSU was at fault though?


Tbh it's unlikely to be your PSU. AX PSUs are bullet proof and about as good as they come. Plus it is less than 5 years old (yes they come with a 10 year guarantee). Try lowering your OC or set it to default and see if your system is stable. Also might be worth checking temps as your AIO is getting on a bit (the pump tends to go first) is it noisy or noisier than normal?

Provided you can get the system stable, I agree with @Ono wait until next year. If you're desperate upgrade the GPU first then your SSDs they can be added to your new system when you build it.

I upgraded from a 5820K to a 6950X last year. However it doesn't make sense to do that now, as 6950X CPUs are around £500 - £600 second hand. You can buy a 3700X and a X570 mobo for they same money which will have slightly better performance.

If you want to try that route a better option would be the i7 6900K they are under £300 on eBay second hand, would give you 2 extra cores and 40 PCIe lanes which would address your storage issue. Your memory is fine.
 

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom