1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Tilting A Plasma A Big No No

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jimmyidle, May 13, 2005.

1. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have had 1 plasma so far which I sent back and got a refund for. The PQ looked a lot better when demed in the store, it was a budget buy though. I have now upped my budget to get a panny. My problem is where I want the plasma upstairs, it is going to have to be tilted on its side (not for long) to get it in to the room. This is what happened when the guys at John Lewis delivered my last one. Could this be something to do with the poor PQ, or is this tilting a plasma thing just an old wife's tail?????
    Cheers
    Jim.

2. blzbob

blzbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine will be permanently tilted on the tilted wall mount!

3. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I mean is up ending on it's side not just a small tilt.

4. nickeddle

nickeddle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don`t think you need to worry, I have a Piooner 435 XDE and in the instructions for putting it on the floor stand if you are putting the speakers at the bottom of the screen it advises you to "Always install them by putting the screen flat on a table first spreading a sheet on the table so as not to scratch the display"

5. jimmyidle

jimmyidle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    yep, it's only transporting them flat that is a real issue

7. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone here who is a civil engineer gave a very good description of the issue and it is all to do with the material properties of glass, i.e. it is strong(ish) when exposed to forces in certain directions but very weak when subjected to forces in other directions (I can't remember the exact terms he used (compression versus tortion maybe?)), so if you don't transport it upright then you get the "bad" forces on the glass that will likely break it. Carrying it carefully through a door wouldn't be a permanent issue but be aware that while oriented thus, be very careful of knocks and bumps since they might put more strain on the glass than you would maybe suspect and hence break it.

- Julian.

8. voxmagna

voxmagna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I'd have got my XDE on the Alphason pivot stand bracket on my own, if I hadn't laid it face down on a clean new carpet.