Is Thomson 8215 a current box?

chiefdave

Standard Member
Briefly the story so far, called sky last week to book HD install and was given the 3 month wait others have had. Called round some local installers and found one who said he had 2 new boxes and a cheaper refurb. I ordered a new box and arranged the install for Tuesday morning.

He's installed a Thomson DSI 8215 and I'm wanting to check if this is up to date kit as in is this still being installed as new? The full model number is DSI 8215WD-89.

The reason I'm querying it is I've had a few problems tonight. Up until today everything was fine but tonight on the HD channels after watching a few seconds it would freeze up (only on HD channels) - sound would continue but picture would lock.

First I found that if I moved off the channel and back again the picture restarted but then froze again.

Next I found that if I recorded and then played back (say a couple of mins behind live broadcast) it was fine.

I also found that if I set a channel to record and then a couple of minutes later starting watching that channel live it was fine.

Strange huh?

Anyway a power cycle seems to have cured it but I'm concerned that it a sign of bigger problems to come.

I know there's posts on similar issues but I did and search and found conflicting info and as I'm a bit of a novice with this kind of thing didn't make much sense!

chiefdave

Standard Member
bit more digging (told you I'm a novice!) and I've found this on the menu
model number:902020
version number:4e3007

also it came in a green box if that makes any difference.

cockney

bit more digging (told you I'm a novice!) and I've found this on the menu
model number:902020
version number:4e3007

also it came in a green box if that makes any difference.

Never heard of a green box, normally a shiny new Sky HD box or for refurbs a brown box, do you live in countryside which may explain the green box ?

chiefdave

Standard Member
haha, no it's a sky branded box. i'm getting suspicious now as I have no idea if it was sealed or not as i didn't look before it got installed. Also i noticed on the back of the manual that it says manufactured by samsung which seems odd to me. Also found a thread that says 4E3001 to 9 were made 2006/2007 which I reckon (assuming they went in order) that my box is around 2 years old. Surely when these boxes are in such demand they wouldn't be sitting around on a shelf for that long.

cockney

Sounds like they have done you up like a kipper, get on to them tomorrow & tell them that a new install means a new box & not a refurb in a different manufacturers box. if it were me i would not be happy at all especially as the Thomson boxes overall come 4th out of 4 for reliability & it is deinitely not new.

Keep us informed

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom