1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this worth me spending £330 extra?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by himpressive, Oct 2, 2004.

1. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys, I'm new here and new to the AV world and this is already my wife's favorite forum! (Thanks to tips from guys on this forum, we've been able to save about £1,500 on our system - sony kv42sx300 tv + sony dav sc8 HC system + Sky + @ £99 :clap: )
    One more thing I need your help with: Is this worth me spending extra £330? I will like to get the best possible visuals with my set up and this might be worthwhile, only if it will offer significant improvements over quality replacement cables that I'm thinking of buying.
    What do you guys think? (I get my set delivered in 7 days... :D )

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, and welcome to the forums. :thumbsup:

It's a bit of a difficult one to answer this, as the answer will differ depending on several factors, and none will be apparent until you actually have the equipment and put it to the test.

Firstly, if you're going to make the choice between buying a scaler or buying higher quality video leads, then buying a scaler is the best choice by quite some margin. As long as you're current cables are properly screened and robustly constructed, then buying higher cost cables will offer little, if any, visible improvement. If you do need to buy new cables there are plenty of low cost but very well made ones available if you hunt around. You certainly won't need to spend £330 to get good quality.

Whether the scaler is worth getting or not is difficult to say, and depends partly on the quality of the scaler built into the Sony SX300, and partly on the quality of the scaler in your link.

If the scaler built into the Sony RPTV is of a good standard, then you won't gain much from adding an external scaler, but if the Sony's scaler is anything less than very good, then an external scaler is worth considering. This then brings us to the external scaler itself, which is on the (very) low cost side. With scalers you often get what you pay for, and for a scaler to offer the functions of the one in your link for such a low price then the sceptic in me automatically suspects that it's performance could be suspect. Also, the company is American, so the distance involved makes returning the unit if you're unhappy with it more complicated.

Hope this helps a bit.

3. himpressive

himpressive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for answering my query fatbob, really appreciate it!
    My concern was to not get into a situation where I buy higher quality cables and not get the kind of image quality I desire, and then having to eventually get the scaler and it's accompanying connecting cables :eek:
    A UK company also stocks the product, so returns may not be a problem.
    If there's anyone out there who's actually used the KF42sx300 with and without the scaler, I'd love to get your opinion on the issue :lease:
    Thanks again, fatbob.