1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this World's largest LCD screen? - Not what you'll think it is!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by TheBoingoBandit, Apr 16, 2005.

1. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    [​IMG]

Is this really using small LCD screens to make up the large screen?

If so I've never seen this done before. Anyone knows about Astrovision LCD as I can't find anything about it on the net (except it's made by Panasonic).

2. goopy

goopy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Umm, I'm pretty sure that "Astrovision" is a brand or division of Panasonic in the US that specializes in arena scoreboards for Professional sports arenas. The one in this picture is in Sacramento and is pretty standard across all NBA and NHL arenas. They very cool and very expensive, most colleges have something similar in their arenas and stadiums, even some High Schools have them for their Football stadiums... They are a bunch of LCDs, but I'm wondering now about the ones that are outside... not sure.

3. goopy

goopy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, what I mean is it's a system of displaying video over a whole bunch of LCDs for large audiences... they use them at concerts as well of course. It's more about the software and hardware that runs the display output (Astrovision). I believe it comes from the first time that they did (for the most part) for the Astrodome in Houston Texas.

4. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Just back from a holiday in the states & saw 2 much, much bigger :

1) The screen behind Elton John in Caesars Palace looked to me about 100 foot by 50. Bit late to Google it but it was big & nice quality too!

2) At Fremont Street in Las Vegas the roof screens were made by LG. They were about 2 blocks long but only about 30 feet wide. Bit low res though compared to Eltons.

Any bigger out there ?

:smashin:

5. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, LEDs are typically used for large screens rather than LCDs.

LEDs have the advantage of higher brightess and better contrast in sunlight. eg. A typical out door LED screen is 5000nits. 10 x brighter than a normal LCD.

A good place to see LED screens is Time Square in New York. In the UK, the Coke screen in Picadilly circus is pretty impressive. It's 1600 x 480 pixels at a pitch of 16mm.