1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this what we want?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pecker, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    Posted by KevH elsewhere - an idea of what we might want from an mp3 player:

1 Approx 80 gb hd or more and stable AGREED!
    2 Great sound (try listening to a Rio Karma) and docking system with dedicated line out AGREED!
    3 Gapless playback AGREED!
    4 All format compatability eg mp3 wma wav ogg attrac et al AGREED!
    5 Robust build quality ( buttons that dont crack) OUCH AGREED!
    6 Picture ability ie album art and ability to view on tv screen whilst listening to music Would be nice, but of no greaty concern to me
    7 Good software ( easy to use, just check out all the different types out there an nick the best) AGREED!
    8 Decent headphones in box I DISAGREE - SEE BELOW**
    9 Decent battery life and replaceable AGREED!
    10 Decent in line remote or even IR remote AGREED!
    11 Accessories in abundance look at the ipod and at the time of launch not 6 months after WELL... as long as the player comes with everything you need, I'm not too bothered about accessories

** The cheaper the 'phones the better. Truth is, I'm going to replace them anyway, so the cheaper they are, the cheaper the player is. Put in a pair of good 'phones, and people who don't know any different will refuse to pay the extra for the machine.

Steve W

2. lukasluk

lukasluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agreed!

although even though im probly going to be about filling up myy hd1, I would only want another 10 gigs max... agree with your point on headphone definatly... Its unlikly that anyone (who counts ;)) wont have already had a decent set of headphone from a previous player...

on the accesories point, that is one of the let downs of the sony range compared to the pods...

still gets on my nerves that i dident get a remove with my player though... ah well

3. Wykey

Wykey
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty much agree with all of that.

I too have no interest whatsoever to view album art or photos or anything like that. I must admit, I find it pretty baffling why anyone would.

As for the headphones, again, agreed - I mainly use my HD3 in my car, through the stereo, and also if I buy a pair, and change music systems, I'd keep using the ones I bought, to pay over the odds to then have *two* (or more) sets of good headphones seems to be a waste to me.

As far as accessories go, what exactly is available for the ipod that's of any *practical* use that isn't currently available for any other system ?

Arm holders ???

4. L11

L11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    80gb is way too much

5. micaab

micaab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1. 80 GIG does sound too much to me too - browsing 80GB of music might be cumbersome.

6. doesn't matter at all to me, i want a player that stays in my pocket or bag, i shan't be sitting there looking at album art.

8. Headphone are a bit of a personal choice, what is "good" for one isn't necessarily good for another

10. accesories? apart from a remote there's nothing else i want (I like to keep it simple)

apart from that, you've conceived the perfect DAP :clap:

6. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    I think it's impossible for 80gb to be 'too much'.

Persumably, any new player would be available in 20gb, 40gb & 80 gb versions, so you need only buy the one you want.

And of course, if you only have 55gb of music, you don't have to fill it.

Steve W