Is this what I want/need?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Matt_C, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,791
    I need another network point downstairs, and am sure in the future I'll need more anyway, so am thinking of putting a Netgear GS105 in behind the tv, and connecting it to the long Ethernet cable I have running upstairs to my AirPort Extreme.

The aim is to have gigabit Ethernet put out from the airport, down to the switch, and the items that connect to the switch receive a gigabit connection. So I assume this is fine since the GS105 is 10/100/1000.

With that, one of the items I have connected downstairs is an Apple TV. I have this on a static IP of 1.3 - which I think is reserved for it by the AE using its MAC address. Will this reservation continue if I put a switch in the mix? Ie, the ATV will still get 1.3, and anything else connected to it (for example a PS3 or smart tv box, will just receive IP's dished out by DHCP from the AE?

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,712
    That should be fine. Your IP addressing will be unaffected by the introduction of an additional switch. For a simple (as in "uncomplicated") unmanaged ethernet switch literally all you have to do is power it up and plug in the network cables. A "desktop" switch will probably run on a wall wart for power - do consider that and make sure you've got a suitable mains socket avaialble.

3. AndySee

AndySee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes. I'm looking at putting a similar unit in the loft to replace homeplugs to link an outside building. It will be :BT router (Dhcp server) to switch to 2-4 rooms. 1 room also has TP link router as Wifi access point and switch (dhcp turned off) already use the Tp link off a homeplug with no issues (except Get too much disturbance when the washing machine is on)
    From memory the netgear linked is good, but there are cheaper alternatives eg TP link. Also that is 'desktop' so a more pretty box. But this saves maybe a tenner, 15ish rather than 25ish. Sorry no links to add.

4. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,791
    Thanks guys. Looks don't bother me, as it'll live in the back of the AV unit anyway. I'm fairly familiar with Netgear stuff, as I've had it before and "trust" it, so likely to go with it again. All I want is a simple (unmanaged, as said) switch, that I can just plug in and go with.

I'm gonna try to pick one up second hand ideally, so as to pay less