Is this "Twilight" series really what it's cracked up to be?

the_watcher87

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, was chatting to a few work mates tonight and the topic of the above was being talked about and a few of the people there said it is brilliant and once you start reading you just can't stop.

Was wondering your thought on the series as I'm tempted to give it a go.

Cheers
Davy

I enjoyed it. It can be quite slow at times and can be predictable.

But the characters are well developed, and you find yourself developing favourites, so you do want to keep reading.

The film is actually quite a good translation. There are a few bits that aren't quite right but they are minor - no real script changes or shortenings.

So if you've seen the film and liked it then give it a go.

The next book New Moon is out on the big screen next month and that introduces the next big plot change (unfortunately the trailers give away too many things which are more of a surprise in the book).

Cheers,

Nigel

Not read the book, but seen the film - quite enjoyed it....

Tried to read the books and was totally put off by the whole new-wave style of vampires that they came up with, being a big horror fan, especially zombies and vampires, I was quite disappointed with it.
That said I did not even get half way through the first book, so I can't give a valued opinion on the quality of the storyline or the series.

My guess is that if you are female and below the age of 15 it will be the best thing since sliced bread...that's the impression I got from the film anyway.

Did you not find it a tad over the top in the teenage angst and drama department?

Did you not find it a tad over the top in the teenage angst and drama department?

I think it's the fantasy aspect which appeals to many people and the fact that the books have a very two-dimensional aspect to them that the reader can read into it how they wish. Just because something is aimed at a certain target group it does not mean that others can not enjoy it, comic books proved that even if your target audience is young you can still have just as many or even more people out of that target audience which appreciate it.

I understand...like I said, I have only seen the film so cannot comment on the book of course...but I would not read any of the books based on what I saw on my TV. If I were to read a vampire book I think Sookie Stackhouse would be the way to go.

I think it helped because I watched the film and read the books with my 11 year old daughter.

I do admit to enjoying them though, just like I enjoyed

Harry Potter
His Dark Materials
Darren Shann

Cheers,

Nigel

Yep, if you enjoyed the Dark Materials, Harry Potter, Narnia Series then this might appeal to your Literary Stamina :D My Girlfrind tore through the first 3 books in about a week (and even confessed to dreaming about vampires......didnt give me the details tho!). On the face of it just seems geared towards young readers and or Women in general. Give me a Bourne novel or a good Rock N Roll autobiography any day of the week !

They are an easy enough read to pass the time.

I preferred Garth Nix's The Old Kingdom trilogy of Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen though.

Thanks

Jon

They are an easy enough read to pass the time.

I preferred Garth Nix's The Old Kingdom trilogy of Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen though.

Thanks

Jon

Really? I though Gareth Nix's Kingdom trilogy was the worst thing I have ever read! I read the whole of the first book and half of the second waiting for it to get better and just gave up as it was so boring and slow and totally random at times with no real point!!

Anyway, back on topic, I'm male, 24 and I absolutely loved the Twilight books - so much so I read all 4 in 2 weeks and am now on Stephanie Meyers other book The Host.

I think its a crying shame that her manuscript for Edwards book got leaked and she won't finish it becuase of that - and I still have to read it.

Oh, and the love story was only a very small part of the book to me, I got enravelled with the family and then the vampire 'mafia' (Anyone who has read it knws what I mean) and Esme was a brilliant revelation.

Can't please everyone I guess though!!

In what way? - I've read all the books but can't recall any revelation about Esme - Rosalie, yes, but not Esme.

Cheers,

Nigel

Her daughter - am I confusing the name? :rotfl:

My guess is that if you are female and below the age of 15 it will be the best thing since sliced bread...that's the impression I got from the film anyway.
You're so right. My daughter has those books and has read them several times.

Probably because like all females who read it she was dreaming of Edward :smashin:

I took her to see the movie and while I didn't think it was much cop, she loved it. Posters of Edward then started appearing on her wall. She's gone of it a bit, she's into a band now, but no doubt it'll all come back with the new movie.

A few of my (female) friends are badgering me to read these and for that reason alone I won't touch them with a barge pole. It would be like reading Titanic.

Just finished reading the second book last night, thought it better than the first, starting reading Flashforward by Robert J Sawyer today. Might read the third book after I get this finished.

Found the 4th book in a charity shop this week for £1, couldn't believe my luck :)

I think they are a good read to be honest. I've read 3/4 and will read breaking dawn next year. As a guy, Bella does moan too much for my liking, and she does overreact a lot, however once you get past that, they really are good books and deserve all the credit given to them. I genuinely think anyone from a middle aged man to a teenage girl can appreciate these books.

Also the film did not do twilight justice, not that it was bad, it just could have been much better in my opinion. I did enjoy it though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom