1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this tv worth it?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by barrybarryr, Oct 13, 2004.

1. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

I dont know much about rear projection TV's, Im not even sure if this is the correct thread but can someone please help me?

I have been offered a Panasonic 47" is has dolby surround sound, picture in picture feature, i dont know the model number for £450.

Does that sound worth it?
    What sort of things do I need to look out for on them?

Is there anything else I should be wary about?

It has marks on the screen but it doesnt look that bad when there is picture going through it. He says that it is marked because of the cloth and liquid he used to wash it once.

If someone could help Id really appreciate it.

2. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hm, be careful.

First get the model number. Then you can find out roughly how old the set is. Then, once you're satisfied it's not older than your grandmother ;) you need to look at those marks on the screen more carefully. You may find that on some images they become very noticable indeed. If you can see this thing running take some of your fave DVD's around and take a look at it more closely. Also, and this is really important, look out for screen burn. This is caused by bright stationary images on the screen for long periods whilst the brightness or contrast is set too high - so therefore find out if the set has been used for playing games consoles, but don't let on why you want to know that - spin a yarn, like you want to know how good they are for consoles cos that's what you want to do with it. The best way to see screen burn is on a white background so in the absence of a test disc the matrix DVD is good here, you know, the scene where he first meets Morpheus in the white room. If it's there the CRT's are toast and, unless you can do it yourself (unlikely because most PJTV's use a coolant system to stop the tubes from detonating, yes they do get that hot) it'll cost a tidy sum to have those changed out and have the set completely re-white balanced, geometry reset and then re-converged, assuming somebody will do it of course and the tubes are still available!

As for the marks being caused by what he used when he cleaned it...Hmm, what the hell did he clean it with??? If they can be see when the set is off then they must be pretty bad. Is it a smooth glass front or rough textured?

If you can't get to play with the set for a while without the present owner getting stressed about it I'd leave well alone. I know it's only £450 but that's very cheap for a 47" PJTV and you could be buying a very large dustbin instead of saving up for something a lot better and more likely new. For instance a Toshiba 42WH36 is about £850 if you look around and Sony do similarly prices sets as do Samsung and one or two others, although I don't know how good theirs are - I just know the WH36 is a steal at that money, especially when you see how good the picture is.

3. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Screens on these types of CTV can easily be damaged if cleaned with abrasive products, and they are very expensive to replace.
    Depending on the model - it may have one or three bulbs which generate the picture, these are also expensive to replace.
    Any large CTV is a specalised item and can cost £50 just to get it to any repair center, make sure it works ok.
    Nigel