Is this TV stand too low? HELP!

kazaam

I am looking to get a TV stand for the Samsung EU55ES8000 (55" 3D LED TV).

I like the lower ones, but I am afraid it will be too low.

Because the TV is pretty big itself, I am not sure, and would appreciate advice.

Dimensions: W152cm x H49cm x D41cm

OR

Dimensions: W200cm x D50cm x H28cm​

Last edited by a moderator:

kazaam

Tv's look so much better Low, look at real designer stuff....
All floor standing .
Thanks for the reply. This is what is drawing me to the lower TV stand. However, I was wondering if anyone can advise me on whether this is practical/functional regarding viewing height

groovyghouly

Standard Member
Hi. I had the same dilemma about four years ago. The advice that I was given at the time was to pick a unit that was as near as possible the same hight as the cushion on your sofa so when sitting you are relatively level with the centre of the screen. It turned out to be good advice as I later bought a home theatre setup with floor standing speakers. In the end we settled on this solid oak unit.

Designer Furniture by Con-tempo: Quercus Oak 1.8 3 Drawer TV Unit

A word of caution though. I would imagine a 55" tv would be quite heavy and the two units you are considering have thinnish tops, I would check their recommended weight limits.

The tv shown in my picture is a 52" Samsung Lcd

Attachments

• IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,712
Last edited:

kazaam

Hi. I had the same dilemma about four years ago. The advice that I was given at the time was to pick a unit that was as near as possible the same hight as the cushion on your sofa so when sitting you are relatively level with the centre of the screen. It turned out to be good advice as I later bought a home theatre setup with floor standing speakers. In the end we settled on this solid oak unit.

Designer Furniture by Con-tempo: Quercus Oak 1.8 3 Drawer TV Unit

A word of caution though. I would imagine a 55" tv would be quite heavy and the two units you are considering have thinnish tops, I would check their recommended weight limits.

The tv shown in my picture is a 52" Samsung Lcd

Thanks for the advice. Our sofa cusion is about 40cm, the stand above I like is 28cm.

I have calculated that the centre of the TV will be at about 90cm, and coincedentally this is roughly where my eye level is also.

(TV is 1230cm height, which is ~61.5cm approx for the centre of the TV, and add 28, brings it to 89.5cm)

This means the top of the tv will be at about 1.5metres which seems very high when I measure it up on the measuing tape haha. Do my measurements seem right? I can't help but feel I'm doing something wrong

Anyway, yeah, the TV is under 20kgs and the stand can support up to 70kgs :)

Nevaborn

Just to throw this out there. If youll be watching any 3D its best to have screen centre at eye level. So a slightly lower stand is good.

kazaam

Hi. Simply Electricals say the tv is 761mm high..

Samsung UE55ES8000UXXU (UE55ES8000) 55" 3D SMART LED HD TV

If you divide the height by 2 and add the height of the stand you get an ideal head height of 660.5mm.
Ah yeah! Stupid me! I was using the length as the height. haha

Hmmm...makes me think the TV will be too low then...I don't know. I don't think it'll make all that much difference in the end, but can't help but have the dilemma before ordering.

groovyghouly

Standard Member
You could always buy the lower of the two stands and wall mount the tv to the right height above it. Could end up looking quite snazzy.

If in the future you the wanted to add a home cinema amp and speakers some monitor audio rx white series speakers would look stunning with that unit. The centre speaker could also hide the wires to the tv.

Attachments

• silver_rx8set_white.gif
    silver_rx8set_white.gif
    53.9 KB · Views: 918
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom