1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this true?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by raven219, Jun 24, 2003.

1. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Went down to my local retailer to have a look at the MJ Acoustics Pro 50. The MJ website said that they were stockists. Well they are not. The guy started telling me why. To paraphrase what he said, he claimed that MJ was set up by someone who left Rel on bad terms and all MJ do is copy Rel. As the stocked Rel, they didn't see point in having the same stock twice!

I was quite surprised about this. Not the story, more the way that he was bad mouthing a supplier.

What I would like to know is if there is any truth to the tale. This is not to start a hate campgain against MJ (as I have not heard any their products I have yet to form an opinion), rather so I can judge my local supplier.

Cheers

Raven

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a look at whatever else he doesn't sell and go back next week pretending that you wanted to hear one of them and he will no doubt come up with another amusing anecdote for you.

I have no idea whether or not the story about the MJ people working for REL and leaving under a cloud is true or even relevant but I do know that there aren't that many different ways to make a sub so ultimately most of them have a lot in common with others.

Rumour has it anyway that the REL Quake is itself modelled on a Sunfire sub and royalties are paid to use their technology.

The MJ Pro 50 is an excellent sub and is the class leader in that category IMHO so find another more reliable dealer for your demo.

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have heard a similar story, though I'm not certain of the details. I actually got the impression the guys who left REL to form MJA were [some of] the real designers, and they left because they thought they could obtain equal or better performance to REL's subs for less money (though I would definitely take that with a grain of salt).

In any case, I do believe the Pro-50 came out before the Quake, so it might be said that REL has turned to copying MJA....

Dunc

4. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I can state quite catagoricaly that no one at MJ Acoustics ever worked for REL.

As far as I know the only designer at REL was Richard Lord himself and as he is still there I can only assume he doesnt work for MJ Acoustics.

Further to what Ian has said about designing subs Monitor have a sub that looks like a Strata / Ref 1 with a plinth on and Wharfedale have the Power Cube that also looks similar to the Quake / MJA Pro 50. So taking this guys assumption it appears these designers are working all over the place.

Phone MJ and ask them, I'm sure they would like to know whats been said.

5. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks guys.

Out in the wilds of East Angular, we have a limited number of suppliers, but as I am due a trip to civilisation soon, I will be able to have some choice.

Of course I could just take Ian J recommendations* and order one!

Cheers

Raven

*His and nearly every audio/AV mag in the country!

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought a MJ Pro 50 from Sevenoaks. I was told by the salesguy that MJ used to make components which were assembled and branded by Rel, but MJ decided to build and brand their own equipment instead of just supplying.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yet again the jungle drums are beating out the wrong tune.

8. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Are you having a pop at me or Sevenoaks ?

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are just relating what you were told. It's Sevenoaks that have their knickers firmly twisted :rolleyes:

10. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Raven:
    In my experience REL dealers seem keen to rubbish the competition. Had a guy in a Norwich HiFi dealer dismiss SVS and Velodyne with a vague "American subs aren't musical" etc. I don't think he had any idea who SVS were anyway.

To his credit he told me to keep my REL Q200E and didn't try and sell me anything else, well except for a REL Q400 "which would be the only sub in my price range to be noticable better."

11. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All shops will try to sell you what they have in stock and will be biased towards the goods they sell, i had to get my subwoofer a RelQ201E fixed and sent it back to sevenoaks who claimed it had been "damaged" by the royal mail in transit, well to cut a long story short i emailed Rel and there customer service was excellent and they said they would do the repair which normally costs £188 for free.

I'm not knocking Sevenoaks but i had put huge handle with care stickers all over the box and even now fail to see how it got damaged in transit, in the back of my mind i'm thinkin hmmmm perhaps sevenoaks didnt fancy the cost of gettin it repaired.

Anyways i'm happy with my subwoofer but if i was buying one now id probably go for a different model because there are better ones available for the same amount of money.