1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this true...?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by neoglow, Jun 30, 2005.

1. neoglow

neoglow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it true there are only a handful of LCD manufacturers in the world, and other companies, ie Sony buy the technology from them and put their own badge on the front??? I may be mistaken but I'm sure I heard Pioneer, Hitachi and one other brand are the only manufacturers in the world that make LCD screens themselves?

Is there truth in this? - and in relation : Is it advisable to buy an LCD from these manufacturers to ensure good quality?

I may be looking shallow but obviously companies like Goodmans and the like are not a patch on other brands like Toshiba and Sony etc but in the good peoples opinions...What are the top 3 brands for quality?

M.

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may confuse the TV set with the LCD screen as a component.
    Electronic components manufacturers and TV set manufacturers are different companies. Sometimes a component manufacturer also makes TV sets under the same name, sometimes under a different name. But every set manufacturer buys components from external suppliers.

A wellknown LCD screen manufacturer is Sharp. They make TV sets themselves, but their screens are used by many other TV set manufacturers including Philips and Loewe.

3. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, only a few producers, the big difference however is the electronics inside, that's what does the whole trick and makes more difference than the different screens itself!

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I think it's the same with CRTs as well isn't it? Only a few manufacturers make the tubes themselves? I could be totally wrong there...

5. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There are others in China and Taiwan such as AU Optronics, but some of these are in difficult patent litigations with the big players. There must at least 5-6 or volume manfacturers world wide.

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Philips do not use Sharp panels - only Sharp and Loewe AFAIK.
    Philips partnered with LG - a daughter company of Samsung to produce panels.
    Sony make and use their own panels exclusively, IIRC.
    Panasonic and Philips make their own CRT tubes, but Panny uses others for their low cost sets.
    Bang & Oulfsen use Philips - but they test the batch received and return those not within their strict criteria and specs, which are already the top 1% of those produced by Philips.
    A certain German company I can't say too much about actually do a lot of design and manufacturing for some of those names mentioned above.
    The bottom line to all this info, is forget about the badge on the panel, and if it looks the part and does what YOU need from it, then if the price is right, it is the right one for you.
    Sony and others know this, and a good 20% of the cost is purely because they know their brand name gives people confidence and charge appropriately. Similar to that of Mercedes Benz/BMW.

7. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Indeed, the companies do have us trapped. You're very right when you say that a lot of the time, we buy products that are "reassuringly expensive".

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    A number of Philips 9986 models have been reported as using Sharp panels. LG, formerly known as Lucky-Goldstar are arch rivals of Samsung. Sony and Samsung have a joint venture, S-LCD, that manufacture LCD panels that is directly in competition with LG Philips.

If the certain German company that you can't say much about is Loewe, yes, it is well documented their involvement with Sharp. Infact, some Loewe products are reboxed LG products. But as always, build and design quality, plus completely different software make branded and unbranded varients completely different beasts. There is often more than just a badge that differentiates, even if it it just 6 months ahead of the unbranded product as with the Loewe A series and the Sharp GA6 models.

I think.

9. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,516
    there are not too many manufacturers of the LCD panels themselves but there are quite a lot of electronics companies which manufacture the LCD Driver chips which help make them work.