Question Is this too cheap to be any good?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chris Longley, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Chris Longley

Chris Longley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,762
    That's difficult to answer really, I've had one briefly as a loan unit, fan noise is considerable especially in high lamp mode, you may see the rainbow effect as its single chip DLP, black levels are not that great but ok for a £450 projector.

On the plus side it's bright and of course has perfect crosstalk free 3D. If your near a richer sounds or a good demo room it's a good idea to take a look at one in action.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,099
    How big a screen do you want to achieve & at what seating distance and what signal will you feed the pj (bluray/hdtv/games or sd material).

Noise from a pj can be high but not as bad if used in eco mode and if the pj is 4ft or more away from your ears.

Projectors have a big Wow for the size of image and immersion they give you but the downside is you need good light control and the image will not be a sharp as from a large tv.

I have a 50" plasma but still watch all movies and sports from my 100" plus screen from 9ft and it is a very good quality image and noise from my Optoma HD20 DLP pj at 3ft from my ears is hardly noticeable even in quieter moments in movies.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Richer sounds are still selling the BenQ W1070 for £499. It's a great projector.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Another £30 for joining their email VIP club as well.

I'd agree with the posts above. I have the Benq rather than the Optima, but these entry level projectors are fantastic for the money.

Mine projects a 92" image which might not be quite as sharp as my 55" TV, but I still watch 100% of movies on the projector as it looks excellent and is much more immersive.

As you go up the price range, blacks get better, operating noise gets lower and there will be other small improvements, but these machines give a great performance for under a quarter of the price of a Sony HW40.

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    Worth noting that the Optoma is coming up on 'Amazon Prime Day' later, so there might be a worthwhile reduction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List