Is this the right cable for Satellite??

Gammy leg

Established Member
Reaction score
Chaps,

Just bought 20m of cable for Sat Dish - Digibox use. I have just checked the markings on the side of the cable and it says the following-

PRO POWER RG6/U CO-AXIAL CABLE 081M.

It has a copper core wire with the screen made up of braided copper
(primary) and aluminium foil (secondary).

Does this sound like pukka sat cable or have I been sold standard TV co-ax by mistake.

Thanks

Aluminium foil shielded cable is certainly NOT recommended for outside use as the foil corrodes very rapidly with the slightest moisture.

This is true but it will take a couple of years for moisture to get through the PVC and you can protect it for a lot longer if you ensure that the 'F' plug is put on with silicone grease and the cable is routed under eaves, wherever possible, to keep it dry. Also painting the cable with a good oil-based paint will greatly extend its life.

Thanks for all your replies. Most of this cable will be indoors, running under my floorboards. The remainder will be used to replace my existing cabling from TV roof Aerial to amplifier/splitter in the loft. ( I'm lead to believe that Sat cable is better than standard CO-Ax for this ). The existing cabling from the roof aerial is far too long and could do with being re-routed.

Gammy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom