• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is this the fog?

T

TracyS

Hi, I live in the West Mids and for the last 3 days we have been covered by a thick blanket of fog. We have a 3 week old tv with built in freeview and have has to resort to analogue as the the digital signal is breaking up.

Do you think this is due to the fog as it was fine before?Is anyone else affected?:confused:

F1Fan72

Prominent Member
Defo. weather releated !!

smjxm09

Established Member
Fog or high pressure might well have tipped the picture over the edge but it must have been only just OK before. Due to the nature of digital TV it is either perfect or you get nothing. You will need to get your aerial sorted as once analogue is switched off you will no longer have this option open to you.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Fog unlikely. High pressure - yes, likely. Co-channel interference from another transmitter that's normally out of range.

T

TracyS

Well today all the BBC channel are okay, not the ITV ones though:confused:

I think we need to get an expert in, we do have a high gain aerial but are totally clueless about decibals etc:rolleyes: The more I read, the more confused I get.:blush:

We wanted to split the aerial so my daughter can have freeview, we have bought a 4 way splitter from Maplins but am in 2 minds as to whether to fit it now:confused:

Thanks for the replies:smashin:

chriszzzzzz

Established Member
West mids...Some areas were really badly affected by the weather conditions...
I think the fog hinders the signal finding it's way to the aerial.:D
As has been said it only really affected people with borderline reception. Mine hasn't been affected but my parents further out at Evesham had terrible interference.

D

Derek L

Almost certainly the Fog. Fog is tiny water droplets which attenuate the signal. Some years ago when I was in East Anglia the analogue TV faded out - we later received an appology from the broadcaster blaming fog interuppting the microwave signal that they were using to pick up the feed from London.

We have had trouble here in North Wales over the last few days on the aerial which points to Winter Hill - most stations are OK but there is a small group, presumably all from one channel which keep breaking up or going off all together.

bob1

Prominent Member
Almost certainly the Fog. Fog is tiny water droplets which attenuate the signal. Some years ago when I was in East Anglia the analogue TV faded out - we later received an appology from the broadcaster blaming fog interuppting the microwave signal that they were using to pick up the feed from London.

We have had trouble here in North Wales over the last few days on the aerial which points to Winter Hill - most stations are OK but there is a small group, presumably all from one channel which keep breaking up or going off all together.
I would disagree with this ,microwave maybe but this is uhf were taliking about ,LV426 explanation is more likley due to the high pressure over the country at the moment.

T

TracyS

Well the picture is slightly better than yesterday but sill very annoying:rolleyes:

I think we'll need to see to the aerial, we had a freeview box before and never had this problem.

If it's moisture causing the problem, will rain have the same effect:confused: The signal strength and quality is actually better on the itv channels but the picture is poorer.

Does anyone know how to find out which transmitter we should aim for:confused: Thanks:smashin:

jonathanTVTV

Established Member
My signal has really suffered over the last few days. I have totally lost film4 which is really annoying.. have to stay up late and watch film4+1:rotfl:

I'm in Sussex... is anyone else having probs down here?

atmoscinema

Established Member
Well the picture is slightly better than yesterday but sill very annoying:rolleyes:

I think we'll need to see to the aerial, we had a freeview box before and never had this problem.

If it's moisture causing the problem, will rain have the same effect:confused: The signal strength and quality is actually better on the itv channels but the picture is poorer.

Does anyone know how to find out which transmitter we should aim for:confused: Thanks:smashin:

Sutton Coldfield is the main transmitter for the West Midlands.

Your aerial should ideally be a Wideband one as well, and if you plan to split it, it would be best to get it done professionally, if the Maplin diy route doesn't work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom