Is this the definitive Sky+ reset ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by steve1138, Jun 24, 2004.

1. steve1138

steve1138
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had dreadful problems a couple of times with the Sky+ (v1, with 120 Seagate Barracuda HDD) locking up and then refusing to restart.
    I'd removed / replaced the HDD's, changed jumper positions.. but still not getting it to start (it would power off just after the front panel lights flashed during the initial startup self test, and then - nothing)

THEN (in desperation) I twiddeled the ribbon connectors (the important one seems to be the one connecting the Power supply board to the mainboard) pulled them out and reconnected them - then everything was fine again.

This has happened twice now (initially leaving it for more than 5 days in the hope it would re-start after being left overnight / during the day unplugged before attempting to re-start.. all to no avail).
    But disconnecting the power supply board ribbon connector has worked each time.

I also had a problem with 'dodgy' recordings. When playing them back, the programme time always showed as 17mins. You could only fast forward / reverse at up to 12x (at 30x it just stands still), and you can't jump to a time of >17minutes.
    BUT, again, disconnecting the power supply ribbon cured that too

I leave my outer case unscrewed after the HDD mod, so I can get into it very easily.

ALSO - QUESTION - Sky+ HDD type... IDE or SCSI ?
    ========================================
    is the original MAXTOR 5400rpm 40GB disk a SCSI ?

I just installed the original disk as an additional data disk in my XP PC connected to a Promise Ultra133 TX2 PCI controller card and the devices appear in the Hardware manager as SCSI devices, and the MAXTOR disk also appears as a SCSI.

The 120GB disks I've installed so far in my v1 Sky+ (MAXTOR 120 initially but then replacing with the Seagate 120 (quieter and cooler)) were both IDE's.. and I'd had problems with both...
    (before discovering the power ribbon connector reset)

Steve

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY+ uses standard IDE hard drives, it should say so on the drive it self not to mention if it wasn't IDE then you couldn't have hooked it up to a IDE controller card.
    Is the Barracuda a 7500rpm drive?
    The original SKY+ can be a little sensitive to the time required for a drive to spin up to speed (after a power reset) and if it's not fast enough it will ignore it's presence.

My XP sees the IDE raid setup (when activated) as a SCSI device, not sure why but it doesn't seem to stop anything from working correctly.

3. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    WinXP categorises RAID arrays as SCSI, even though they can be achieved these days with cheap as chips IDE.

StooMonster