Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is this the correct way to bi-wire?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I have the Denon 2802 AV amp with Mission M72 speaker package (M71 mains, MC2 centre and M7DS rears). My cabling includes QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire for connecting up my two mains speakers.

My amp allows two pairs of mains speakers to be connected (the speaker outputs labelled as "A" and "B"), even though I'm only using one pair of mains speakers which are connected to outputs A on the amp. So I'm ignoring output "B".

I wondered if this is a correct way of bi-wiring on the amplifier end, bearing in mind that the cabling is connected correcly on the speaker end (splitting the hi-frequencies and low-frequencies over separate binding posts): On the amp end, rather than connecting the hi-frequency and low-frequency cable cores to the same output ("A") for each speaker and polarity, How about I split the hi-frequency and lo-fequency connections over outputs "A" and "B". This way I can have, say, output "A" connected to the low-frequency connections of a speaker, and output "B" connected to the hi-frequency connections of the same speaker. And of course, doing the same with the other main speaker. Since this arrangement will have two outputs feeding each speaker (instead of one) will this cause some overload or tonal mis-match with the rest of the speakers in my setup?

Thanks.
    positive core of the speaker cable to the red

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Either way doesn't make any difference as the A/B terminals will be joined inside of the amplifier casing.

3. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I have a Denon 2805 and thought about this too.

Eviljohn, do you mean that the A & B outputs aren't actually fed/driven separately and therefore there's no point in using A & B at the same time to the same speakers?

(I had my fronts bi-wired simply by taking two cables from the (A) +ve on the amp to the low and high +ve terminals on the speaker and two from the -ve to the low and high -ves).

Is there any gain to be had at all from switching on 'A+B' and bi-wiring as Dr Rock describes? I've read loads of different opinions about whether bi-wiring actually does anything but would just like to try it out for myself!

4. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Supersonic, I would agree with EvilJohn they are put there for ease of use, which Denon are know for.

Fish

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Supersonic, you've hit the nail on the head. Using both the A and B terminals make wiring up to the same speaker in a "biwiring" fashion easier and mean you can amusingly switch each range of drivers as you want (ie. treble or mid/bass). If the terminals were seperated and powered seperately it would be biamping and is often available using the rear surround channels on some models these days.

I personally wouldn't bother with biwiring but would replace the jumper bars with a small length of speaker cable (in fact, that's exactly what I do) but there's a wealth of information/arguments on the subject on these forums and elsewhere so I'll leave you to make up your own mind. :)