Is this the best I can do!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nickkaric, Jan 10, 2012.

1. nickkaric

nickkaric
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning all,

I have a Denon 1910 AVR and have just bought a Panny GT30 and BDP110 blu ray player, I want to get the best sound and picture I can from the tv and amp obviously.

Would i be best running an hdmi between the blu ray player and the tv and then using optical for sound to the amp from the blu ray player. then connecting my xbox 360 to another hdmi on the tv so i get the game mode settings and then running another optical to the amp for sound for the 360?

Is there a better way?

I'm thinking about upgrading my amp this year but i'm waiting to see what this years models have to offer.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Nick

2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Connect the Blu-ray player through the receiver by HDMI. That will allow you to play back HD audio in full, when watching applicable Blu-rays. Optical cannot handle HD audio in full, so using that for the Blu-ray player would mean you aren’t getting the best audio quality.

The xbox 360 doesn’t output HD audio, so there is no advantage in using HDMI over optical with that in terms of audio quality. Connecting it to the receiver with HDMI would allow you to eliminate the need for the optical cable, but that’s the only practical advantage you’ll get.

I’m not really sure what you mean by using the game mode settings. Do you mean the picture preset on the TV? This will work regardless of whether you connect the xbox through the receiver or not.

3. nickkaric

nickkaric
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, When I was looking at the tv in store the salesman said if I connected the Xbox to an hdmi on the tv it would mean that the picture settings for gaming would be effectively saved to that hdmi port. meaning I wouldn't have to keep changing the mode on the tv.

I see your point about the blu ray player, the only advantage of connecting straight to the tv was for when watching 3d content, although I can't imagine that happening too often.

Thanks
    Nick

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    If the TV has Per Input memory settings then yes it will be best to take the Xbox direct to the TV - assuming your using a different 'Mode' for Game vs. Movies.

You could try it via the AVR with the AVR in HDMI bypass mode and see if the TV is 'smart' enough to load up the Game vs. Movie settings when it sees 1080p60* vs. 1080p24!

Joe

*Assuming your games are mostly 1080p60 (or 1080i60).

5. StevieBuck

StevieBuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    Yes, in that case it would make more sense to connect the xbox directly to the TV.

I hadn’t thought about 3D content. I guess the simplest option would be to leave the Blu-ray player connected to the TV by HDMI and just use optical for audio.