Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is this the best ever rpt ????

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by kevantlin, Jan 23, 2004.

1. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never been a fan of rpt's but i went into curry;s to day to look at the tosh pf2 and the panny pd30 (for about the 10th time i might add), When a tv caught my eye.

Turns out it was the samsung sp46l5hx lcd 46''the picture was stunning at all angles (something that seems uncommon with rpt's)

I havent seen a picture this good for a long especially in a store.

The samsung website -

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/ProjectionTV/TV_ProjectionTV_SP46L5HX.htm

- boasts that it has a dvi input please can someone explain what this is ? is it better than component

I would like your advice if anyone has bought this beast please let me know.

Any opinions are welcome:hiya:

Attached Files:

2. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    How much was it?

\\Chris

3. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Check out this thread

Also check out its little sister the older but cheaper 43L2HX available for £1400 and featured in the new Sky brochure for £1999 with free DVD recorder :smoke:

4. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price was £2999 thats a currys price remember

5. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another thing that grabbed my attention is the ability to stack all the home cinema equipment on the shelf underneath.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Digital Video Interface ? as found on your pc perhaps ?

7. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is dvi anygood

8. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Which store did you visit?
    Im keeping my eye on this TV as there are a few people who have seen it and as of yet little criticism.

The £2999 price can be reduced with web site codes tis week to about £225 off £2999.

Its been in and out of stock on my currys post code last ten days.

What did you think was so good??

9. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a currys store in bristol.
    What do you mean the website codes i have tried to look for the currys website and havent been able to see it.

The first thing that attracted me to the tv was the looks but once i got closer the picture was brilliant, now i am no expert but my eyes were not lying. Bearing in mind that it was probably showing a picture that had been split many times it was still damm good.

The other thing which i thought was fantastic was the veiwing angle, this is one of the main things that have put me off rptv's in the past but not this time, and finally it has shelves to put my kit on.

I have looked everywhere and besides the review on the eisa page i have not been able to see any others.

The other thing that confuses me is howcome non of the mags big up rptv's am i missing something?????

10. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  11. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Which Currys was it?

Correct me if i'm wrong but DVI is a very high quality input. Greater than Component.

\\Chris

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    If posting links to a site where the session id times out, please learn to include the sku which in this case is 11234.

13. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry lynx but i havent got a clue what you are saying

14. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i take back what i said about the samsung above. I went back to the store to day complete with lord of the rings dvd and spent ages trying to get the set looking great and i am afraid to say i have made the desicion that this rpt's not for me.
    There was a lot of pixellation which was noticible from as far back as about 14 feet (my veiwing distance)

Back to the panny pd30/tsosh pf2 shame as i had my heart set on the samsung.

15. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Maninblack posted a link that expires after a short time. Each product on the site has a unique identifier code,SKU, in this case it is 11234. All you need do is open any link on the website and substitute the sku at the end for the product you wish to view. Hope thats clear. :)

16. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I am desparate for a look at one of these.

Kevantlin, why the change of mind? You've gone from "is this the best RPTV ever " to "pixellation from 14 feet " in one page :confused:

I was pleased with your first post cos I really think one of these LCD Samsungs could be what I am looking for re PQ, WAF and a place to stash my toys underneath! Now it could be back to the drawing board :suicide:

Could you give more details please on just how bad the picture was? Where exactly in Bristol is this Currys? I may have to go there myself from West Wales to help make my mind up.

I wish I had never noticed these damn Samsungs, I nearly nearly bought a Tosh 36.......and now may still

17. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This currys is on the m5 junction 17 i think they call it cribbs causeway

Last night i was so chuffed thinking that i had found the tv of my dreams, when i first saw it i couldnt spend to much time examining it closely, i drove from worcester this morning to go and have a look and veiwed some familiar dvds, this is when things started going wrong as i say i noticed pixellation and the colour seemed unattural.

Dont get me wrong if i was forced to buy a rptv there is NO question about it the samsung would be the clear winner, compared to all the other rpts in the store the samsung was streets ahead.

I just dont feel that £3000 is worth it, i cant quite afford a decent plasma yet and had the picture been superb it would have been a good choice.

I think i would rather have the best crt that money can buy and its got to be the panny pd30 (in my veiw anyway)

I would rather have great picure from a 36'' than mediocre performance from a big screen.

Hope this helps.

18. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Thanks for that :(

Before you buy a CRT, check out the Samsung SP43L2HX as mentioned previously and discussed on the other thread. It appears to be a 43 inch version of the TV you saw, in a not so attractive cabinet, but at half the price. Its in the latest SKY brochure too.

Specs for both seem identical. I think its the way I will go :smoke:

19. wizard of oz

wizard of oz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet is selling SP43L2HX for 1999 and 53" for 3499.
    They are High Definition compatible.

20. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    better still, you can get the 43L2 for £1700 at panteronline and Unbeatable. Panther had it for 1.5k not a week ago but have put the price up.
    Unbeatable also throw in a progressive DVD-R for the price.

Comet have stopped selling it through thier website for some reason.

I cant justify an extra £1300 for a nicer box, and 3 inches. As Alan says, the specs are identical in all other respects.

21. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I personally don't need an 3 extra inches :smoke: ......but wouldn't mind a nicer box :laugh: :laugh: phnaar phnaar

22. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My house looks crap anyway!!
    A nice looking tv would just ruin the image!

23. wizard of oz

wizard of oz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet is STILL selling 43'' for 1999 although it is no longer on their website.

24. cjking

cjking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I believe the SP46L5HX comes in approximately the same size cabinet as the SP43L2HX, and I think it also differs in that the cabinet is moulded so you can place a centre speaker on top.

I've seen the SP46L5HX in Currys Beckton (East London) and thought picture quality was very good. I want to wait a few months and see if the price comes down - presumably cheap internet sites are going to start selling it at some stage?