Is this the beginning of the end?

Loopthrough

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Reported today in Business news:

They say it's just going to be 'some' of them (and can't impact the 2021 models), but you know how it went for Toshiba, JVC and Hitachi...

Panasonic has already had Vestel (Turkish) make some of its low end UK/Europe models for a few years now and in Asia/India they often rebadge TCL and Skyworth (Chinese). In the US they tried rebadging Skyworth before quitting altogether.

FYI, JVC TVs at Currys are a mix of Vestel (usually the Fire TVs) and Konka (mostly Android ones) (Chinese).

Last edited:
So sounds like LCDs will be outsourced but OLEDs will continue.

The Panasonic TV division future depends if the (hopefully increasing) OLED sales can carry the R&D costs.

Probably the UI, at least, will be Android/Google TV all the way in the future.

So sounds like LCDs will be outsourced but OLEDs will continue.

The Panasonic TV division future depends if the (hopefully increasing) OLED sales can carry the R&D costs.

Probably the UI, at least, will be Android/Google TV all the way in the future.
It suggests the high end models and OLEDs would continue, but likely only in Japan.
Won't impact the 2021 models though.

The article is about Panasonics Asian production and does not mention plans for their Czech assembly plant. Hopefully, high end production will continue there, like in Japan.
Hopefully, but it's worrying.

The article is about Panasonics Asian production and does not mention plans for their Czech assembly plant. Hopefully, high end production will continue there, like in Japan.
They're reviewing the Czech Republic factory as well. Decision expected in early June.

Definitely worrying, can only hope enough buyers are willing to fork out for Panasonic's premium quality and extra features even though the competition is ahead with the latest technology at lower prices.

I think it might be Panasonic that's about to die as a brand.

I did like it as a brand, but years ago found it more difficult to get its products or products that weren't far too expensive.

No, as a longtime leader in the AV branch, the brand will not die, that would be a waste of reputation. The fear is they step back and outsource production.

Do you know what its UK market share is now compared to say 15 years ago? I don't - hence the question. But I remember Panasonic products being quite prevalent in the UK. But, its market presence here in the UK seems to have shrunk considerably.

Last product I managed to purchase was a phone - and I had to get it from France because it hadn't been marketed in the UK.

By looking at the number of posts in the Panasonic group here on avforums they have a strong presence/potential. They are still hanging on, unlike the likes of Toshiba and Hitachi who pulled out of the TV market and licenced their brands. When it comes to quality, I still rate Panasonic highly. It would be sad if they follow Sharp, who still produce higher end TV's for the asian market, but have become a budget brand here. They can make cheap Android sets to keep a market presence, while keeping the premium lines maintaining the brands reputation.

Definitely worrying, can only hope enough buyers are willing to fork out for Panasonic's premium quality and extra features even though the competition is ahead with the latest technology at lower prices.
Lower prices (Chinese, yes). Quality of internal components is different. R&D (HCX etc) is different.

Do you know what its UK market share is now compared to say 15 years ago? I don't - hence the question. But I remember Panasonic products being quite prevalent in the UK. But, its market presence here in the UK seems to have shrunk considerably.

Last product I managed to purchase was a phone - and I had to get it from France because it hadn't been marketed in the UK.
Panasonic has a global market share of 1.8% in TV. Close to 8% when Plasma was around/before the Chinese came to UK/EU/US.

They are still huge in many other categories from batteries in EVs, industrial products (used in many fields), broadcast/pro AV, etc, etc.

By looking at the number of posts in the Panasonic group here on avforums they have a strong presence/potential. They are still hanging on, unlike the likes of Toshiba and Hitachi who pulled out of the TV market and licenced their brands. When it comes to quality, I still rate Panasonic highly. It would be sad if they follow Sharp, who still produce higher end TV's for the asian market, but have become a budget brand here. They can make cheap Android sets to keep a market presence, while keeping the premium lines maintaining the brands reputation.
Sharp is planning on bringing high end models back to the UK and Europe. Maybe US. What you're seeing on the market is the last of the UMC designed TVs. Sharp (with Foxconn) has its brand back and will gradually redesign/reintroduce its own models.

I still can't believe Toshiba pulled the plug so quickly. They were always a very popular UK brand and manufactured in the UK right up until 2010/11.

This is generally another nail into Panasonic's overall declining TV business. They don't seem to be interested long term and that has become apparent for a while. I can't see them being around in the business for too much longer. The niche top end areas are probably unsustainable and they have been off the boil for quite some time.

Vestel was probably not the best move for Panasonic.

TCL however do make some fantastic value and decent mid-range products. So all in all not a bad deal for TCL. They've been around for some time now and are beginning to break through more globally now. They will probably rebrand products as Panasonic as part the deal.

I suspect Panasonic need the deal more then TCL, but in return TCL will gain more knowledge on higher end TV requirements. This deal sounds all about leveraging the Panasonic brand. Longer term Panasonic will probably exit the manufacturing market as their end game.

I am not surprised. My feeling with Panasonic's overall consumer electronics business is that while they build robust and well-performing systems, they fail at their marketing or at least making them look modern and 'chic.'
I love my GZ960, but it has, in my opinion, the most utilitarian looks and UI out of all OLED TVs of its generation. For a more expert/advanced user, it is not a problem but it could well be a deciding factor for the average consumer looking at TVs at their local showroom —assuming that they carry Pansonic in the first place...
This is not only for TVs, but also for their other products; e.g. cameras.

I am not surprised. My feeling with Panasonic's overall consumer electronics business is that while they build robust and well-performing systems, they fail at their marketing or at least making them look modern and 'chic.'
I love my GZ960, but it has, in my opinion, the most utilitarian looks and UI out of all OLED TVs of its generation. For a more expert/advanced user, it is not a problem but it could well be a deciding factor for the average consumer looking at TVs at their local showroom —assuming that they carry Pansonic in the first place...
This is not only for TVs, but also for their other products; e.g. cameras.
They said years ago they don't do "chic". The Japanese market likes it that way, it's only really in Europe/UK/US where "trendy" design is more important than robust, dependable quality.

I'll always be a big fan.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom