Is this Sub worth a punt???

kempez

Wow yeah that's a good price.

Seeing as they advertise with AVF, any chance of a review?

tvdavid

Has a 10in driver which is what a sub should have or more.

bobbymax

Wow yeah that's a good price.

Seeing as they advertise with AVF, any chance of a review?

Wow! They advertise with Aston Villa Footy club? :D

Had a search around, but couldn't find any reviews.
I assume they're a new product re the "Special Launch Offer Price". But although they look ok, I'd like more info b/4 deciding anything.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Yes, I'd be interested in a review on this too. Seeing as it's a 10" driver in a fair sized ported box , the quoted 32hz wouldn't surprise me.
The only slight criticism is that the power seems a tad low and that's obviously to keep the price down, but for the money I reckon that could be a super buy :smashin:

I wonder if Russ_Will fancies testing one?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Yes, I'd be interested in a review on this too. Seeing as it's a 10" driver in a fair sized ported box , the quoted 32hz wouldn't surprise me.
The only slight criticism is that the power seems a tad low and that's obviously to keep the price down, but for the money I reckon that could be a super buy :smashin:

I wonder if Russ_Will fancies testing one?
Sod that, his title dictates that we can pressure him into doing one :D.

Only joking Russ, but it would be interesting to see if a sub of this price is worth looking at, or how much its actually possible to get for your £100 these days.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
:)

My thoughts are that this seems to have a slightly better spec than the MS 309 (which was 35hz) and that was more around the £200 mark.

I'd expect corners to have been cut, in that it doesn't weigh as much as you'd expect, given it's size.

But looking at the competition at that money, which is usually plastic with 8 or even 6" drivers (!) you have to suspect that this could be a lesser version of SVS or BK.
Double bonus is, I think they're British too :smashin:

bobbymax

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I've noticed they've been advertising on here for a while and have been waiting for someone to comment on the sub.
I'd probably go and buy one just to try it, much the same as I did with a pair of XTZ speakers, but with me being out of work atm, it's really not a good idea.

At £100, I very much doubt you have anything to lose and I'd go for it, fwiw.
You could well be the person who makes this sub extremely popular and let's face it, there seems to be massive demand for a sub at this money.
As I said, the competition is mostly rubbish at that money, imo.

That said, it's very easy for me to tell you how to spend your dough :D

bobbymax

I've noticed they've been advertising on here for a while and have been waiting for someone to comment on the sub.
I'd probably go and buy one just to try it, much the same as I did with a pair of XTZ speakers, but with me being out of work atm, it's really not a good idea.

At £100, I very much doubt you have anything to lose and I'd go for it, fwiw.
You could well be the person who makes this sub extremely popular and let's face it, there seems to be massive demand for a sub at this money.
As I said, the competition is mostly rubbish at that money, imo.

That said, it's very easy for me to tell you how to spend your dough :D

He he....Yeah I prefer to spend other's cash too. :D

Must admit my finger has been hovering over the buy it now. :eek: Think I'll give it another day to see if anyone else has some input first.

PS What do you think of the XTZ's? Have had a brief look in the power buy?

Last edited:

mcbunny

funny enough i just noticed this sub too and im wondering if i should try it paired with my soon to be here xtz 93wmt's as after laying out god knows how much last month on av the wife may kill me if i spent much more and we have a £100 limit on not having to check with each other first :)

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Given there does seem to be a little bit of interest, I'm happy to buy one to see what its like next payday. I'll wait to see if anyone buys it and posts a review, if they havent or it looks like no one has by then, then I'll do it :D

I'm, sure I could re-sell it a minimal loss when Ive finished with it, or use it as part of a desktop speakers setup.

mcbunny

i may buy it today i just dont know enough about things to review it i dont think :(

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
He he....Yeah I prefer to spend other's cash too. :D

Must admit my finger has been hovering over the buy it now. :eek: Think I'll give it another day to see if anyone else has some input first.

PS What do you think of the XTZ's? Have had a brief look in the power buy?

As in the XTZ subwoofer?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
That's a fair ol size that sub, a 440mm cube is quite a lump and a lot of sub for very little cash .. maybe a bit big for a pc/desktop sub eh MF ? :D

mcbunny

i was just comparing it to the bk subs and its bigger than all but the monolith yet only a 3rd of the power of the bk 200 and 300

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
:D maybe I could put it behind the LCD monitor and pretend its an old crt. It is a fair lump, but the 3 main considerations when buying a sub spring to mind. Size/price/performance, and as we all know you can only pick two (which is why I bought the sub I have), so if the rule holds up this should be the best £100 sub ever made, not to mention its better made than anything else at this level as badger already pointed out.

It is to big for a desktop, but I'd certainly put it on the floor for a pc speaker system if its upto the job. I'm really starting to wander if something like this with the XTZ 93wts speakers would outperform speakers at the same price, i.e a pair of £250 bookshelves. That would make for a cracking setup in say the kitchen, or moving to the back garden to play music outside in summer, and running via zone 2 outputs from my Onky.

See where I'm going :smashin:

I could even run REW and give the sub a test to post the results, but I'd probably need some input from you guys to do a satisfactory job of that.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
i was just comparing it to the bk subs and its bigger than all but the monolith yet only a 3rd of the power of the bk 200 and 300
Thats true, but seeing as a 100watt amp panel from BK is £117, you cant really complain. I'd say its highly likey this sub can comfortably run at its amps limit which isnt a bad thing, its just that it might run out of steam early if you have half decent speakers with it.

What do you want for £100 :rotfl:

mcbunny

Thats true, but seeing as a 100watt amp panel from BK is £117, you cant really complain. I'd say its highly likey this sub can comfortably run at its amps limit which isnt a bad thing, its just that it might run out of steam early if you have half decent speakers with it.

What do you want for £100 :rotfl:

thats easy the moon on a stick and summer glau as my wife :devil: (im only joking dear ;) )

mcbunny

small review that really doesnt say much about the sub

review

should i give it a go then ?
im using the CA Azur 640v2 stereo amp with the 93wmt's when they arrive its been used for movies music games tv etc etc rooms only 3x5 ish

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
I think from looking at purely specs and build quality, its either this or a BK Gemini, and thats twice the price and only gives another 50watts, albeit it that is actually 50% more power. Nothing else Ive seen at £100 looks anything like this, certainly ive seen nothing to make me actually look, rather than just make a pfft sound, roll my eyes and walk away with one of those 'whatever' expressions on my face.

That review is generally very favourable for both the sub and speakers. Its hard to get the details exact from that translated review, but I cant pick anything negative out of it aside from that if you lose the remote for the speakers they are useless, but that doesnt affect the sub. Like I say though, for the money its hard to be negative about a product that gives 100watts of power, through a 10" driver, in a 440mm square MDF cabinet. The competition typically offers 6" drivers in a small plastic box with about 50watts of power, and that usually gets shared to some passive speakers too :nono:.

Last edited by a moderator:

kempez

I'm seriously tempted with this as a stop-gap to fill in some lower end until I can justify a bigger sub. £100 surely I can't go wrong?

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
At low to medium volumes I say go for it, I just wouldnt expect to be running full belt and expect this little sub to keep up with a decent pair of well priced floorstanders.

kempez

Hmm perhaps I should think about saving for a BK first. Trouble is, at the mo I cannot justify more than a Gemini 2

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton