Is this sony bravia any good? - KDL-26U3000

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by geowars2, Jan 9, 2008.

1. geowars2

geowars2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I've been looking at the Sony KDL-26U3000 which is available for £350 in sainsburys.

However... i've seen that this tv is the 'budget' range of bravias.

I really need to know if this will be any good - is this the best 26" tv in the price range - if not what alternatives are there?

£350 is still quite expensive. There are budget tv's available for much cheaper - so does this justify the extra money?

Just yesterday i saw a goodmans 27" lcd tv advertised for £200 (and it had a 1200:1 contrast ratio. The sony only has 800:1 :eek:)

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks

2. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hahah dont buy the load of rubbish. i saw it today in sainsburys' cant believe they are selling that rubbish! dont even touch it! get a le26r87bdx for a bit more and you will be much happier.

and dont worry about the contrast! its not real contrast its usually dynamic contrast. so numbers dont mean a thing, if you want to know the real contrast go to JL and go see the tv!

3. geowars2

geowars2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hey thanks for the post :thumbsup:

just one thing though... can you tell me why you think its not a good tv?

I've read a few opinions on this so far though and they say its rubbish as well - but i have yet to see a reason why! :rotfl:

I am on a budget so i can't spend anymore at the moment, but maybe i should wait a bit until the better one's come down in price maybe?

4. DJRhys

DJRhys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Get The Better Sony 26" ,
    Either The 26S3000 Or The 26T3000 ,
    I Think They're Both Only £399.99 ,
    The S3000 On Play.com ,
    Not Sure Where The Other One Is Though

Peace ,
    Rhys

5. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    I have to agree with it,but anyway if you cant afford them,the 26U3000 is NOT that bad model as it was U2000,I think that for £350 is good model,also the U3000 user reviews are very good

6. geowars2

geowars2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    as i say i would go for a better one if i had the money :rotfl:
    The only other option i have is to:
    A. wait until the prices of the S series models comes down.
    B. Buy a budget model! e.g. that 27" goodmans is only £200!

i've found two positive reviews of the tv here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL-26U3000-Widescreen-Bravia-Freeview/dp/B000VZA7J8

It seems like a good looking tv as well!

I just don't understand why its rubbish :suicide: Is it the picture or reliability etc.. (I definetely don't want it if it has a poor reliability!)

perhaps there is an alternative brand i should look at? I noticed that asda have 26" panasonics for £350 - but my nearest asda is miles away!

7. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Its not so rubish tv,definitely not the best but passes the good mark.

8. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The U series is the low end model from Sony sold in supermarkets not main stream high street retailers like John Lewis. Its priced and sold in supermarkets to be a spur of the moment purchase.

Its not a bad set for the money. I think what people mean when they say its rubbish is that it doesn't compare well to the more expensive Sony models. The S, T series etc have a better picture quality, better overall control of the picture and perhaps a better panel. Also the way freeview works / interacts with the old U series was inferior to the higher models like S.

Basically if you could wait, save up and get a S series for the extra £50 you get a much better quality product. However if £350 is your limit and you need to buy a set today they then you can do a lot worse than the U series.

As the the Panasonic offer in Asda, you'd get a better set than the Sony U imo so could be worth a phonecall to see if in stock then a trip out.

9. geowars2

geowars2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hi
    thanks for that info :smashin:

How would this compare to other manufacturers 26" sets like philips, toshiba and the like. I seen a philips 26" a few days ago and it seemed good enough :) (although i would never buy a philips)

Just to add - Im not overly fussed on picture quality - I'll be using it in my bedroom (mostly at night) for xbox 360 and freeview. The sony seemed a good choice as being that its a sony i would expect it to be reliable and have a decent picture.

i suppose i will just save up a bit more and get a better one - my 14" crt will have to do for now :cool:

10. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not a fan of Philips so not looked at them at all. For LCD it Sony, Samsung and maybe Panasonic are what I'd buy. While Panasonics are very good the way they implement Freeview imo isn't as good as Sony or Samsung. I live in an area between 2 transmitters. Sony and Samsungs I own, used let me delete, move, rename channels any which way I like. The Panasonic equipment lets you have very limited control and basically I can't get BBC1 England on channel 1. I've had many emails and phone calls to Panasonic who basically said get a refund buy a Sony hahahaha. The other solution is to tune the Panny in and attach the aerial after 60%. So while the Panny products are good I'm not impressed with the freeview setup on the models I've seen. Hopefully they have updated newer models to give customers the freedom and control Sony and Samsung have given for years. Ok rant over :)

11. geowars2

geowars2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    i agree with everything here - especially philips :cool:

i know i should stop asking about comparisons now lol - but how would you reckon that the sony would compare with the 26" samsungs that they have hooked up to xbox 360's in the shops? :smashin: (considering that the samsungs are a good few years old now)

12. Kawsar17

Kawsar17
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    hi i bought the sony u3000 from sainsburys for 350 and am dissapointed. Im very surprised with the picture quality from a sony. Not very good at all. It is alright however with my ps3 but no way near as good as my 37" samsung downstairs.
    Also where is the panasonic for 350, On the site the cheapest one is 450.

13. k0nigen

k0nigen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've seen my brother's 32U3000 - easily matches my 32S2530 apart from a very small amount of backlight bleed - I would highly recommend this 32" set as a budget option (<£450)

14. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    So and at the performance the U3000 even if its budget line can beat the last 2500 series?

15. k0nigen

k0nigen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Certainly as good @ 720p