• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is this Sky being cheeky or is it my tough luck..

B

BromleyWHU

I have recently canceled my movies and changed my package as it was to expensive. The Movies (Mainly my Sons HDDisney Movies which keep him quite) that where previously recorded and stored in my planner now wont play.

From my point of view I have already payed for the privilege to watch and store these movies or is it some sort of copy right issue and it could be a complete waste of time phoning Sky to complain! ??

chic

Distinguished Member
I have recently canceled my movies and changed my package as it was to expensive. The Movies (Mainly my Sons HDDisney Movies which keep him quite) that where previously recorded and stored in my planner now wont play.

From my point of view I have already payed for the privilege to watch and store these movies or is it some sort of copy right issue and it could be a complete waste of time phoning Sky to complain! ??

no point in complaining as you need a valid subscription to watch anything you have recorded on the drive so if you record alot of movies then cancel you wont be able to watch them.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
The opposite is also true - record loads of stuff while you don't subscribe, subscribe for a month and get them all watched, delete them and repeat...

Starburst

Distinguished Member

You are not alone in thinking that way:)

SKY treat all PAY content on the hard drive in the same way as live broadcasts so you have to have a valid subscription when you want to watch them. As mentioned recording content you don't subscribe to isn't an issue because you are not actually watching it.

You could add movies for 1 month then dump them all to VHS/DVDr or simply record stuff and suscribe for a month and have a movie fest then cancel the movies again. I used to add movies over xmas and get though 30+ movies for around £6:)

Jaycee Dove

This causes problems sometimes even if you DO subscribe.

For instance, switch boxes and cards (eg with multiroom/going HD etc) and you can end up not being able to watch stuff you have recorded (eg movies) on the box you recorded it on because it now has a different card in it after the swap/install.

Sky never seem to help customers to be aware that by temporarily swapping the card back you can still access these things and many customers who ARE still paying for movies probably give up thinking they have lost the recording.

This is another factor (to add the the one you outline) of how Sky strictly tie premium content in to a box/card/subscription at the time you WATCH (rather than record) so as to prevent what they see as a possible abuse of the system.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
far as I remember, it's in the terms & conditions, therefore no point in argueing, you sign up to them, you abide by them.

I think there is a fair arguement for and against what they do, but as you've already agreed to it, I wouldnt waste your time brooding...hehe ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom