1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IS this set up suitable.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gpc1, Nov 23, 2004.

1. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I finally understand ( thanks to all the help on this forum) what I require for my set up.

Please could you confirm that I am on the right lines and that I am using the correct cabling and connections etc to optimise the system.

Screen: Hitachi32pd5200 or 5300. Because I will be using sky and DVD I wont need the off board tuner of the 5300 and I will be connecting DVD via component video and sky via RGB scart direct to screen.
    or
    Toshiba 30wl46 30" lcd tv

Pioneer DV575A

Sky+/sky ( if i just have sky do i need a tuner. is sky+ worth the extra?)

Nad C350 amp

Connections:
    DVD player direct to screen via Component Video ( the three individual re green blue cable)
    Sky+ direct to screen via RGB scart
    DVD to stereo amp via Coax interconnect
    Sky+ to stereo Amp via Coax Interconnect.

Will thin enable me to watch the sky/dvd on the plasma via the plasma’s speakers ( girlfriend likes this) and then when I watch a dvd/sky programme I can switch on my amp and have the sound come through my stereo speakers.

Am I correct in this line of thinking???
    Many thanks for all the sound advice and help.
    Greg

2. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?? :lease:

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All looks ok to me, except that you have no route for sound from the DVD to the plasma speakers. Add another scart or a twin phono between the two.

Both sky and + will do the same tuner job for you.
    I have an old skybox but have had a good play with sky+. Sky+ gives you digital5.1 sound on some movies. The hard disk recording is brilliant(easy to use and versatile). On the down side, you must take a package subscription or they charge you £10 pm anyway.
    I now have freeview in my viera as well so was thinking of downgrading my sky subs. Would not be viable if I had sky+ as I'd still be paying.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you already bought the DV575 ? If not, take a look at the Denon 1910 DVD player which has a DVI out that can be connected to the Tosh LCD screen for a better picture. Again, sound would be needed between the DVD player and the tv as DVI is just video.

With the difference in money from the Tosh and the Hitachi, you could buy an AV amp (Denon 1705 is £200) and then you're set to buy 5.1 speakers at a later date. :)

Richie.

5. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers fellas,

I havnt bought the kit yet so cheers for the denon suggestion.

How does the TV know that the signal for picture is coming through the component video and sound through the scart. Why wouldnt it just override the Comp vid and have both sound and pic via scart
    Also
    Can you run a computer through the hitachi. The overriding factor with the hitachi is the couple of inches extra in the size and the detachable speakers. ( plus the fantastic reviews).

I cant see myself getting the full surround sound for a long while. The room its in isnt big enough to support so many speakers.....plus the missus will have a mental fit and move out..............right full on surround it is then :devil:

No seroiusly im not keen at the mo on being overrun by speakers. The hitachi has the speaker for watching tv but when i need the extra oompf for movies i am quite happy running it through the amp to the stereo speakers......for now!!

Many thanks again.
    Greg

6. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have no knowledge of connecting PC's.
    The scart and comp cables connect to different AV ports on the plasma ( obviously) and you can switch between them. The sound stays regardless.
    (This is all based on a viera.Assume Hitachi similar)

7. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info so far.

I would love to know if anyone out there has the hitachi and has it connected to a pc and what the picture is like.

I think i have finally settled on the hitachi but i would love to know about PQ when set up right. From seeing it in Comet the PQ looked pretty good but i would be interested to hear if anyone has this screen and has watched fast sport ie football. Is there any jerkiness or tracing. My mate has a supposed decent CRT tv and this has these probs and when we watch footie it does detract from the enjoyment be it only slightly.

does anyone know if the hitachi has HDMI inputs ( if i am correct this is the way of future TV broadcasts)

Cheers
    Greg

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I have a Hitachi 5300, and the PC picture is very good if the PC is capable of 1024 x 1024 (although Windows in widescreen is a bit weird !) :)

I would advise you to go for the 5300, which is only about £50 more if you shop around. As far as I'm aware, there is no component video input on the 5200. The only jerkiness you will see on pictures will be a feature of the input signal, and not the TV. Plasmas have very similar characteristics to TV's with CRT's.

9. lintonmac

lintonmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have the 42PD5100 - same series but bigger, and without any tuner or media box. I have connected up two Apple Powerbooks, one with DVI, and the other with VGA, and both look great. DVD's played through either are far, far better than played through my (admittedly cheap) DVD player with (admittedly basic) composite connection.

You may want to consider the 5100 if you intend connecting the PC a lot - it saves a bit of money on the 5200. The 5200 adds just a built-in tuner I think. Why would you need this if you have a Sky box? But if you go 5300, you get the media box I believe (assuming it is same with 32 series as for 42) and you can connect all your sources through that. But, you will have less choice connecting your pc (eg no DVI).

Anyhow, picture from a PC (either movie or regular screen) is great, and imho better than most screens in the price range which do not have the same resolution or connectivity. To get the most you may need some form of resolution switching software on your pc to choose the best resolution etc for what you're watching, and also to deal with the fact that the 1024 x 768 is widescreen on the Hitachi and normal on a monitor (for instance), so it looks stretched. But there are plenty of ways around this, and movie watching does not cause a problem.

Ian

10. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats fantastic help. I wont be using it for pc much at all really. But that is ver handy to know.

Much appreciated.
    Greg

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    True, the 5300 has no DVI input (it's used for the umbilical between the ext box and the TV), but (as far as I'm aware) it's the only one with component video/progressive scan inputs (which the OP said he was going to use). There is a VGA/XGA input on the 5300 for a PC.

12. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something that has confused me is if i am connecting DVD player to the tuner box via component vid ( ie best connection possible) wont the signal deteriorate between the tuner and the screen. What is the connection between the tuner and the screen, DVI ?
    Is DVI a good enogh connection so as not to lose quality gained by the component vid connection?

Gpc

13. lintonmac

lintonmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to Nick

>but (as far as I'm aware) it's the only one with component video/progressive scan inputs

Well, my 42PD5100 (and the 5000 Pro as sold by Richer Sounds) have 2 computer inputs and 4 AV inputs. I thought the 5200 also had these PLUS an analogue tuner.

The AV inputs are:
    1. Component RCA (Y, PB, BR), composite
    2. Component RCA (RGB), composite
    3. S-Video, Composite RCA
    4. SCART (would allow S-Video, and Composite)

Perhaps where the confusion is concerns the lack of multiple scarts, which only the media box provides in the 5300.

As regards GPC's question
    >DVD player to the tuner box via component vid ( ie best connection possible) wont the signal deteriorate between the tuner and the screen. What is the connection between the tuner and the screen, DVI ?

As I understand it the media box (tuner) in the 5300 connects using the DVI input on the screen, and you connect most or all sources into this media box. DVI is as good as it gets today, and I'm sure they provide a good quality cable. But if it's not long enough, be prepared to pay a LOT more for a good quality longer cable. I don't know whether there are nuances in the cable that are specific to Hitachi either. You can always connect the sources directly (but then you could get a cheaper version). I doubt there would be significant (if any) degradation with this method - perhaps it's improved as the length of other cables (eg SCART, Component, etc) is less.

Hope this helps (from an amateur 5100 owner)
    Ian

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I stand corrected :)

Hitachi's worst point is their manuals and publicity material ! :suicide:

Would you believe it, but they don't have a manual specifically for the 5300 ? :thumbsdow

With the 5300 you get a couple of manuals that cover the 5000 series (most of which are not at all like the 5300 with an external box). You also get a couple of manuals on the 3000 series, which uses the same external box, but which has different facilities to the 5000. You also get yet another manual which covers the remote control and PC connection functions. I've never seen a TV come with so many books ! :rtfm: :D

The Hitachi publicity material does not clearly say what the external connections are on the 5100 and 5200 - thanks for clearing it up :thumbsup:

15. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    gpc1
    <<DVD to stereo amp via Coax interconnect
    Sky+ to stereo Amp via Coax Interconnect.>>
    I'm sure this was a typo, but Sky+ digital audio out is optical only, but if your amp has coax it probably has digital too.
    I was also wondering why your girlfriend prefers the TV speakers to surround sound? Surely she'd be impressed with 5.1 once you've sorted it out?

16. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats fine, wasnt sure what the audio output for sky was and just presumed it would be thae same as my cd player thus the same interconnect.

Who knows how women think!!!!!