1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this screen to big?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sun, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I have a 106" Da lite model C screen, it weights 22kg. I finally had some 1 round to help me hold it up to the proposed ceiling area and tbh it's effin huge. The seating position is 2.7m away from the screen, I get the impression that could be serious overkill and make it quite difficult to view anything that wasn't the in the centre.

My projector Epson Tw10 could comfortably do an image anywhere from 68" to 106" from my seating distance.

Does anyone have any experience of such a large screen from such a short distance? Is it difficult or tiring on the eyes to view? I'm tempted to sell it and get a 92" DRH screen (lighter as well) instead or maybe something even smaller :(

edit: infact 92" is huge still maybe a 78"?

2. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    I have a sanyo Z2 with a 92" drh screen, I sit 10 foot away from screen and I got to say I wouldnt like to watch it on anything bigger, screendoor isnt an issue but anything else would just be to big.

3. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks frag, that does indeed suggest it's too big, thing is whatever I choose will be bigger than my 32" WS but I've got caught up in the "bigger is better" mindset and I now wonder whether a 78" screen will have the same wow factor as a 106" would?

I guess I best look to selling it though, what kind of price would be reasonable for such a screen, any suggestions?

4. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Sorry no idea how much screens are worth, i paid £160 for my screen from drh, before you buy a new one, you could try putting a double sheet on your ceiling with drawing pins to see what the 3 different screen sizes would look like from your seating position? that what i did until my screen arrived from drh, which took 5 days :) hope this helps

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    A rule of thumb for seating distance is to sit roughly 2 times screen width away, though some are quite happy to sit 1.5 times width away.

So if you sit 2.7m away, you'll need a screen which is 1.35m wide, or thereabouts, though 1.8m wide may be fine if you like sitting up to 1.5m away. It's all about comfortable angle of view - here's a link you might find interesting:

www.myhometheater.homestead.com

And go to the viewing distance calculator.

HTH

Gary.

6. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'll try the sheet thing, good idea Frag, to help me visualise it, a tape measure just doesn't seeem to do it. Thanks for that Gary, I think I'm most likely to go for a 78" screen which is only 30cm wider than the recommended size for my seating distance. Cripes now how do I get rid of this behemoth! :rolleyes:

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    That's the least of your worries - it's the upgrade bug you have to watch out for... ;)

Gary.

8. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349

tell me about it, just got a z2 and large screen, now i want to upgrade my 5.1 amp/speakers to 7.1 etc :( (although 12 days ago (pre z2 days) i was more than happy with 5.1 lol ) champagne luxuries on a lemonade wage :(