• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is this screen any good & what ratio?

Dave FR PD130

Hi all,

I'm on a tight budget as me n' the misses are in the middle of buying our first house, however as I currently have a manual 72" wide 4:3 screen and a cheap ebay pj, I want to go a couple of steps forward, and get an electric screen of 100" (or around 2.5m wide) and at some point a decent HD pj.

I don't want to spend hundreds on a new screen (my current one cost me nothing!)...but at the same time, I don't want to invest in something I'll end up changing in a year or so.

I've come across the screen below, and wondered if it would be any good or not? Looks ok to me...but I don't really know much technically relating to screens.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260237192356&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

Also, I like the idea/look of the 16:9 screens, but at the same time am unsure whether I will be able to get my future pj (have my eyes on the Optoma 700x) and various sources to fit the 16:9 screen perfectly. I will be using an upscaling DVD player and Xbox 360 both set to 1080i (DVD through HDMI, and Xbox through a VGA cable), and in the future possibly freesat/sky.

Should I get a 16:9 or a 4:3 ratio screen?

Any advice etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave.

nak

Hey Dave,

You should also consider the reflective gain on a screen.

Once upon a time (when projectors had a low contrast output), screens of +2.5 and above were necessary. So beware of glass bead screens claiming +7 and above

My projector came with a screen of +1.0 gain, and I had to attenuate my contrast settings because it was a little too bright.

:hiya:

Dave FR PD130

Thanks for the tip :) Although...i'm not really sure about this gain stuff :rolleyes: I'll email the seller and ask him for a few more details.

According to optoma's site the HD700x is a 16:9 pj, so I guess i'd go for the 16:9 screen :D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom