1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this right

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by durk, Jul 25, 2003.

1. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
  3. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you read the link just got me wondering thats all

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Yes and imho it's not dispensing competant advice, quote NEVER SET THE IMPEDANCE SWITCH OF A RECEIVER TO 4 OHMS! and it goes on to state, ''Selecting the 4 ohm setting significantly limits the rail voltage feed to the power amps and thus reduce dynamics, bass output and damping factor. This switch was put on the Receiver for marketing purposes, and so that it can meet UL approval for heat dissipation when presented a 4 ohm load continuously with minimal to no ventilation. With proper ventilation, this should never be a problem (at least 4 inches above and behind the Receiver). In addition, the Definitive Technology Speakers are very efficient (>90dB) and thus are relatively an easy load for the Receivers Amplifiers to drive in the 8 ohm setting. Thus I would have to say setting the Impedance Switch to the “8 Ohm” setting will result in better fidelity for your system.''.

The switch was fitted to relieve the amp of the stresses of driving low ohmic values - a byproduct can be exessive heat and for them to advise not to protect the amp is plain silly.

5. durk

durk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough! only asking:(

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Sounds plausable to me, I mean you wouldn't not buy a amp simply because it didn't have the switch. Test for yourself, go for the settiing that sounds the best, if they both sound the same go for the setting that best matches the speakers.

Jeff