Is this right?

nick501

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That if the polar ice caps melt then the sea will not flood the earth, due to the fact that when water freezes it expands and that most of the ice is in the water anyway (2/3rd's i've heard)

I have done a small experiment with ice cubes in a jar and when the ice melts the water level stays the same or drops.

Is this too simplistic? or are we being conned somewhere along the line?

That if the polar ice caps melt then the sea will not flood the earth, due to the fact that when water freezes it expands and that most of the ice is in the water anyway (2/3rd's i've heard)

I have done a small experiment with ice cubes in a jar and when the ice melts the water level stays the same or drops.

Is this too simplistic? or are we being conned somewhere along the line?

Sorry to burst your bubble but the problem is that most of the polar ice is well above sea level.
If it melts it runs downhill to fill the seas to overflowing.
Only when it is all at sea level or below will your theory begin to hold water.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the problem is that most of the polar ice is well above sea level.
If it melts it runs downhill to fill the seas to overflowing.
Only when it is all at sea level or below will your theory begin to hold water.

oh ok. I will have to check to see if i can find how much ice is above sea level compared to at or below.

The ice caps aren't melting anyway!
Both are actually getting thicker.

oh ok. I will have to check to see if i can find how much ice is above sea level compared to at or below.

prob best you bring the biggest shovel and weighing scales and tape measure you can find :rotfl:

Large area of normally ice-covered areas are now open water. Polar bears are expected to drown because of the great distances between solid ice. The bears have already changed their hunting behaviour because they can no longer feed on seals breathing though ice holes.

While higher altitude snowfall is forming new ice the fact remains that large areas of ice have been lost to the surrounding oceans. This melting is accelerating.

Ice melting may not increase the water level, but an increasing temperature will cause greater excitation of the water molecules, meaning that the mass of water will expand.

This will therefore mean increased water levels.

We need a plug at the bottom of the sea really. Pull it out and we could flood China instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom