1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this right?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by d0mj4y, Dec 26, 2004.

1. d0mj4y

d0mj4y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, yet another idiotic question on my part:

Just trying to get my head around exactly what the PW7 offers.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-TH_42PW7B

It says under the "Display Format" heading that it is capable of displaying HDTV images. However, I understand that this screen only has 852 x 480 resolution capability.

So therefore, when I start receiving HDTV signal in the future, the PW7 is capable of decoding the HDTV signal, but obviously it would only display it in 852 x 480 resolution.

Am I right?

Or have dealtime got the wrong specifications? Panasonic don't mention the Display Format on their website, you see!

Anyway, thanks for your help if you can just confirm this for me?

Cheers.

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No you've got it correct...the SD PW7 will either upscale or downscale any incomming image it supports to match the native resolution of the screen which is 852x480.

So SD/ED PAL sources which are 720x576 will drop to 852x480 as will HD 720p (1280x720) and HD 1080i (1920x1080).

Cheers, Lee

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not quite. There is currently no digital input for the PW7 that will take high resolution signals at 50hz. Without that compatability, it will not work with the majority of HDTV / HD-DVD products.

There is talk of a new HDMI board that will accept 720p and 1080i @ 50hz - if that materialises, then the Panasonic is quite capable of downsampling high resolution content.

4. d0mj4y

d0mj4y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Graham.

But at the end of the day, would the HD images still only be displayed in 852 x 480?

In which case, wouldn't the improvements in PQ due to the higher resolution broadcast be compromised if not nullified by my unit's mediocre display resolution? (852 x 480)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    an HD film on an SD plasma will often look better than the same film IN SD form....... Panny and fujitsu 852x480 screens deal best with 720p signals and downscale them giving a better image than 480p source and much better than a 576i/p source