Is this really a 'feature' of all OLED's

nandrews

Standard Member
Maybe I am naive in thinking all new technology will work without fault.
My new LG 55" OLED (Mar 2020) has a display issue which LG seem to accept as a 'feature'!
When I watch fast moving objects against static background, such as aircraft or motor racing. The car or plane has a 'reflection' repeated behind it and sometime also infront. It is very obvious and distracts from viewing and certainly detracts from the supposed high quality of the new display technology.
If this is a true 'feature' it seems glaringly odd when in other aspects the colours and definition are being judged to very fine amounts.
Can anyone confirm LG's attitude about OLED, or help me understand how I might remove the effect?

Nigel

sebna

I have two Oleds i am not sure what are you taking about.

GAmbrose

Sounds like you are using the default settings with clear or trumotion on.

Turn this off, as it gives that horrible soap opera effect.

nandrews

Standard Member
That was a suggestion by LG and on checking Truemotion is already off.
The effect, to try and describe it better, is that the rear of the object (car, plane) is repeated multiple times like a trail behind the object. Also on occasions the 'reflections' appear in front of the object.
I hope that makes it clearer.
I assume by a couple of the replies that you are familiar with the effect.
Nigel

drstuf08

its not that i recognise the effect its just that truemotion is so bad (in my opinion) its the first thing to make sure is switched off to rule it out as the issue

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I'm not familiar with all the terminology on your particular TV.

I'd turn off the processing/motion/smoothing/judder/BFI options on the TV or if it has a "filmaker mode" use that and try again.

GAmbrose

I can't really picture what you are describing. The worst thing about OLED's IMO is stutter on 24fps movies during slow panning shots but that is generally quite rate in movies.

Can you talk me through what you are watching, how it's connected to the TV etc so we can rule out other issues.

nandrews

Standard Member
Thanks for the last (well all of the replies really).
The effect I have seen on live TV, recorded TV and YouTube, but it may be evident from other sources e.g., DVD.
Imagine a scene at an airshow and watching an aircraft doing aerobatics etc.
So as it flies past and the camera view is static (but also maybe slow panning). The aircraft is clear, but behind it for maybe the length of the aircraft, there will be feint repeats of the back section of the aircraft. Upto 4 or 5 repeated 'reflections' in a trail behind the aircraft, but varying in number, definition and sometimes disappearing altogether. Also as I say sometimes a similar, but reduced in number effect in front of the aircraft. It's only noticeable on a fast moving object against a static background e.g., aircraft, race car etc.
I'm not sure that I can describe the effect any better than that.

Nigel

nandrews

Standard Member
Thanks for that.
No not at all. I am seeing in that video a slight stuttering in the moving circles.
The effect I am seeing would have a number of repeats of the back edge of each circle following it as it moves across and back.
Nigel

mikej

Isn't the effect you're describing an inherent issue with sample-and-hold technology like OLED ? I have noticed it mostly with panning shots which include anything with a defined vertical edge on screen or when panning round quickly in a 1st or 3rd-person console game.

I'm not sure whether you'd call this stutter, judder or double-imaging, but I use IFC on a low setting to reduce this type of effect on my Panasonic OLED (and the plasma before it), so I'm surprised to see you being advised to turn TruMotion off, as I thought that was LG's equivalent to IFC.

Yes - IFC introduces Soap Opera Effect, but I find I don't really notice this at the lowest settings and it's preferable to what the OP is describing. I used to turn it on and off as desired but found this a bit tedious, so settled on a low setting for ease. It doesn't eliminate the issue completely, but it does help.

I must admit the video posted above is the first time I've heard of a mode like TruMotion actually introducing the effect it's designed to combat ! I've never heard of this in relation to IFC on Panasonic TVs.

Just as an experiment, turn TruMotion up to the max and see if the effect you're seeing diminishes or gets worse. I'm not suggesting you would want to watch it permanently at that setting though, as the SOE will most-likely be VERY noticeable, but it might help you to understand the problem a bit better (or might rule it out as a cure if I'm wide of the mark !)

Last edited:

GAmbrose

Panasonic probably has the best motion interpolation.

LG's is...adequate at best (if you like that sort of thing)

nandrews

Standard Member
I will try the range of settings of Truemotion.
I don't think I can video the effect with any likelihood of giving the correct, or any, impression.
I believe the effect will be lost in translation.
I do think my description is pretty accurate and gives the correct impression.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom