Is this projector compatible with Xbox?

Alie

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an old projector which I am looking to use with an Xbox One console.

Does anyone have experience with the 'InFocus x1a' projector ? Is it compatible?

According to the specifications on various websites, it says the projector is 'HD compatible'...

Yes, you will need a VGA to HDMI converter which can be picked up on eBay for not much such as this one: Laptop to TV converter - VGA to HDMI | eBay
You may get away with just the cable assuming that the Infocus can process the signal but I cannot confirm that. The cable is only a few quid so it may be worth a try. See: GOLD 3M HDMI MALE TO SVGA VGA M CONVERTER A/V CABLE FREE POSTAGE IN UK | eBay
But to be honest, the X1a is not going to take advantage of the Xbox One's capabilities in any way. It is not an HD projector having a native resolution of just 800x600 and it is not a widescreen model either. You can pick up a pre-owned HD ready widescreen projector with HDMI for a few hundred quid or even less if you keep your eyes peeled. If you're just after a huge image for now then by all means buy the adapter but you'll be missing out on what the Xbox One is all about....Stunning full HD movies, games and so much more.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thank you - very helpful.

I was given the projector for free and tested it last night with my Xbox 360. The picture was great so I'm thinking I may as well just have the huge image for now and then invest in a HD ready widescreen projector in the new year (or when the X1a projector and/or lamp gives up).

I'm not getting the Xbox One until Christmas so I will buy the VGA to HDMI cable and see what it's like when the time comes.

Just on a separate note, in your opinion does a projector outperform a TV in terms of picture quality?
From what I can see, a projector is a cheaper way to get a large, high quality screen but I'm assuming it would also cost more electricity to run...

Would you say I would be better off investing in an HD widescreen projector when the X1A dies or would you recommend just getting a wall-mounted big screen TV instead?

That's a tough one! In pure picture quality terms I would have to say a decent tv would outperform all but the very best, high end projectors and even then you need the perfect environment to get the best out of a projector, with the absolute minimum being a totally dark room. A tv will perform well with some ambient light, a projector won't!
If all you want is a cinema/games room then a projector would work, but if you want something to watch everything on such as the news, soaps, gameshows etc. at all times of the day then a large screen tv would be better.
For most of the time, it is purely the size of the image a projector can offer which gives the wow factor over a tv but if everyone is being totally honest, a good tv offers a better image.........but a 102" tv is going to cost an absolute fortune, whereas a 102" projected image can be had for relative pennies and it can still be awesome quality!

I think the new Sony 4K in perfect conditions would beat most TV's but as Oakley says it's the size that matters. Just out of interest what are you doing for sound? PJ's do not do sound very well if at all and to me 50% of watching big movies on a big screen is the surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom