1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this progressive scan?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by lscolman, Sep 1, 2004.

1. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I am using a standard non modified XBOX with the Gamester HiDef Kit. I take the component output of the HiDef Kit into my iScan Ultra (which outputs Progressive Scan). From the iScan onto a Panasonic PWD4 plasma.

Does the game have to be progressive scan enabled, or is this solution bypassing the need for a progressive output?

Picture appears very sharp with good colours.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Lee

2. leedavies

leedavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No, sorry. An unmodded PAL Xbox can output only 480i, regardless of whether you use the Gamester or Microsoft High Definition packs.

To get 480p, 720p or 1080i output (all depending on whether the game supports it), you need to do one of the following:

1. Buy an NTSC console - although you'll need to replace all your current PAL games with NTSC versions
    2. Fit a modchip in your PAL console - will support NTSC and PAL games, but make sure not to connect to Xbox Live whilst the modchip is active, or your console will be banned for life
    3. Use an exploit (search this forum for info on savegame exploits or softmods) to switch the video output mode from PAL to NTSC, allowing 480p, 720p and 1080i output to be enabled

I went for option 3 and now have Amped 2 running in glorious 720p with most games in 480p. Enter The Matrix should arrive tomorrow - one of the few games that supports 1080i... :thumbsup:

3. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The iScan is doing the work and the game doesn't need to be progressive enabled to produce a progressive output.

So
    Yes you do have progressive scan
    Yes your solution bypasses the need for a progressive output from the Xbox

The iScan is doing the work of frame detection, pulldown, de-interlacing etc so there is absolutely no need to chip you Xbox if you don't want to.

I've been contemplating an iScan or some Scaler recently to sort out my non progressive sources.

4. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Jason,
    I can recommend the Ultra, but the iScan Pro can be bought second hand for about £150, and is almost as good.

Do you know why I can't select PAL60 on my XBOX?

Cheers, Lee

5. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea why you'll not be able to select PAL 60, although to be honest, you probably don't want to as you'll be using a lower resolution source (480@60Hz vs 576@50Hz).

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Why the hell does the PAL XBox only give 480i ????

Is this another case of Europeans geting the short end of the stick?

THis why I left Uk to live in Japan, i got tired of geting shafted by everyone!

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It doesn't, it gives 576i when used in 50Hz mode, which is the correct resolution for PAL.

PAL Progressive was not a ratified standard when the console was released so it wasn't included. Very few PAL Prog capable displays available even now.

As for being shafted by everyone, Tokyo's not the cheapest place on the planet to live now is it. As much as I love the place, I'd never live there.

8. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    Just out of curiosity, using an external scaler/deinterlacer for gaming do you get a delay between making a move on the joypad and that being translated to a move on the screen.

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Tokyo may not be cheap to live in, but having all the technology and games more than makes up for it.

I got tired when i was younger of never being able to get everything I wanted in the UK. Now I have it all! muhahahahah!

Lots of opportunities too. Do you earn 30pounds an hour? I do!

As for the PAL crap, isnt it about time Europe changed to NTSC? It would make life esyer for everyone. Hi Def may be the better solution but its still not realy there now is it?
    As for me Ill continue to use my US XBox and Jap PS2, GC. and My trusty PC to deliver the goods. By the way, Soul Calibur 2 looks amazin at 1080i on my plasam! (xbox)