• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is This Problem My Amp

Baron Von Doom

Prominent Member
im getting a strange sound through my rear speakers (mission m70) when watching sky i hear a strange sound over the other sounds. its very difficult to explain. it sounds like some sort of electrical distortion in time with the voices from the front speakers.
ive tried changing the speakers back to my old eltax ones but no difference.
is it likely to be the amp (yamaha rx-v350) or the sky box or something else?

clarky78

Established Member
It could be some glitchy processing that the decoders doing. Are you watching in PLII or DTS Neo? I found the other day i get a fizzling kinda eletrical noise, but only in the front and when my head was next to the speaker!

Helicon

Banned
More and more broadcasts are using higher compression rates nowadays, and this comes across as a funny noise, a little like Cher's singing....my money's on that.

The next time you hear it, play it in normal stereo. If you can still hear it, it's the broadcast, not the processing.

Baron Von Doom

Prominent Member
Helicon said:
More and more broadcasts are using higher compression rates nowadays, and this comes across as a funny noise, a little like Cher's singing....my money's on that.

The next time you hear it, play it in normal stereo. If you can still hear it, it's the broadcast, not the processing.
just tried it. i cant hear it on the fronts on stereo. cant hear it on 5 channel stereo either

clockworks

Prominent Member
I can hear the same noises from my rears on many stereo broadcasts, using Prologic II. There aren't any noises with a true 5.1 source using DD.

Do you find that the noises happen mainly when the soundtrack is just dialogue, with no music or sound effects?
If so, it's a side effect of the PLII decoder trying to create surround information, and is perfectly normal. If you can hear it from your normal listening position, you've probably got the rear channel levels too high.
I can only hear the noises if I listen a few inches from the rear speakers.

Antpink

Established Member
Had the same issue from the fronts in PL mode, using a Marantz 7400 amp - problem cured when switched to either Neo or CSII ss modes. Guess it's an issue with the decoding....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom