1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Duncan Craig, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

It's just a thought but..

In the light of things like freeloader, xboxconnect, action replay etc. obviously consoles can be hacked to an extent through software without needing chipping.

Could the people in the know (the manufacturers) create bootdiscs that can give online multiplayer access to any and all multiplayer games?

If a console could do this, it would wipe the floor with the competition, because of the back catalogue of titles and good prices of those titles.

What do you all think?

Maybe this has already been discussed, but I've never heard of it before, maybe I should patent the happy thought! :)

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Not quite clear on what you mean.

Multiplayer games are diverse, are you talking cross platform games? That would be impossible unless you had the client software for each platform, and they shared the same netcode. You could perhaps create a middleware layer (which is what Sega are doing) that would allow access by any platform.

Also, it is practically impossible to produce software (bootdisks) which would allow access to server based games. These are games that require an account to play eg. Everquest, EVE Online, X-Box Live gateway. You simply cannot access these systems without an account, which makes the boot disc useless as you have to buy an account anyway.

3. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you reply.

Cross-platform could be difficult I'm sure.

What I'm wondering is could Nintendo for instance sell a disc (at a price), which boots before your original game disc (any multiplayer game) and gets you online with other players.

Of course you could only play with the number of people that the system link or game would allow. Because you would still be using an original game which is not internet compatible, but the boot disc allows it to be!

Could it fool the system into thinking there were 3 other players physically on the console with you and show your characters action on screen at full screen size, even if the other players are joining the console over the net.

Obviously the server side of things would have to be taken care of by the manufacter, the cost of the boot disc may be quite high, or have a monthly charge to keep the account active.

Sure, It just a pipe-dream, but I can't see why one of the big manufactures hasn't twigged on to this sort of thing. It would cause an upsurge in people buying older titles so they can make them play 'Live' (to use a Microsoft expression - yuk).

Xboxconnect is a good example of what I am trying to explain, however imagine it without the need for a P.C. and produced for retail. It sounds great to play Halo Live across the net, and it's not even a Live game!

So if freeloader can sell their wares (which must frig with the internal workings of a console) and not be drowning in lawsuits, surely someone could market my new idea (haha), which does a similar thing?

Any more thoughts?

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    What you are talking about is making previously uncompatible net games compatible.

I would severely doubt this is possible as you would need to have the net code written specifically for this software. It can be possible on the PC with open source games, but not for the console.

You can get Emulators which provide network gaming.