1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by gilesm, Mar 8, 2003.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dear all

I'm thinking about getting freeview, but I really want it on all of the TVs in the house except the one in the lounge (I have Sky + there). Now I have an idea and I'm not sure how whacky it is - I'm not too technical I'm affraid.

I have a 6 way distributer in the roof which is taking a feed from a standard arial and a FM arial and is pumping that signal to 4 rooms. What I thought of doing (if it's possible) is placing the freeview box before the distributer in the roof, so the main arial goes directly into the freeview box and out into the diustributer and hence around the house. Is this possible?

Also if it is, can anyone recommend a IR controller system that I can use from each room to switch the freeview box in the roof?

Giles

2. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an installer so this is a educated guess...

I would think this is possible as long as the freeview box has a rf output like a vcr has. You would have to tune the various tv's into the freeview box's rf output channel. The STB to avoid here would be Pace as they don't have an rf output socket. But veiwing via STB rf means the sound will be MONO only.

But the distribution amp in the loft of yours would have to be a single solo amplifier (like the ones sold in argos or diy stores). If it is part of a masthead amp, then its not possible to site the STB before the distribution amp as far as I know because this amp is sending a specific current/voltage to the masthead box, (usually located externally on the aerial pole).

I can't help with the IR controller system part of your question.

Hope this is of some help.

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,265
    The One For All Remote Control Extender available from Argos for about £30 should do the trick. Their catalogue number is 534/0679.

Freeview boxes do have a habit of locking up which normally requires a reset by powering off the mains so it's best to have the power supply in the main part of the house so you don't have to go into the loft each time you get a lockup. Alternatively, you could feed the signal from your aerial into a room in the house, put the Freeview box there and then loop the aerial cable back into the loft to feed the amplifier. You could also put your VCR in the loop so you could watch tapes from any room in the house as well as Freeview. This would also save the cost of the IR extender. Probably too much messing about but just a thought.