Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

is this possible?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by pacemaker, Nov 7, 2005.

1. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    can someone point me in the right direction please?
    just finishing off a new house and time for the exciting stuff
    have a cinema room ready and have run cat5 to all rooms
    what i would like is to have a central pc running wmce and connect a sky box to it along with another satellite and freeview via svideo etc then using extender units stream sky through the house and all other stuff on the remote pc
    is it possible ?
    cheers

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,242
    Yes it is possible.

With MCE you cannot mix sky and freeview - you have to use one or the other. With sky for twin tuners you need to connect two stb's and another sub to sky I believe (not sure how that works, I use freeview).

What were you planning on using for extenders? You have got the choices of an imported US MCE extender, an xbox 360 or a modded xbox. Modded xbox is loads better (I would argue) as you can use an imported MCE extender kit for MCE stuff, and xbmc for other media files that MCE does not support (xvid, divx, vobs etc.) It won't handle hi-def stuff very well though. If you are running lots of extenders from your MCE machine you need power - a fast CPU (maybe dual core) and lots of RAM.

Last edited: May 27, 2017