1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by gilesm, Feb 24, 2005.

1. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, I've now installed my rack of kit in a cupboard in a seperate room behind my lounge and gto my LCD panel hooked up and everything is working perfectly. However there's been occasions where I've had to do stuff in the rack, but needed to see the screen as well, and as they're in different rooms it's a pain and usually ends up me shouting to my wife to see whats happening on screen.

My LCD (Loewe Spheros 37HD+) has a DVI output from it's media box to the LCD. I was wondering if I could attach that cable to a DVI splitter box (if such things exist) and duplicate the signal to a small 7inch LCD or something like that, then I can see whats happening on the main screen. Not bothered about it being high res, just need a remote view point.

I did think of doing something via Zone 2 on my AVR300 amp, but sadly Sky + video signal doesn't go through amp at the mo.

So really my questions are - is it possible? is there kit around that will do this, ie DVI Splitter box, and 7 inch LCD with DVI input? and will it degrade the signal to the panel? and is this just a mad idea that I shouldn't even contemplate?

Cheers

2. Pompey_Lad

Pompey_Lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be possible just to be able to control your equipment from your main room via an infrared link? This way you can use your remote controls to change your system settings etc without the need to go to your equipment. You obviously dont mind spending a few quid on it, here is such a solution from QED

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=2488

3. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Pompey lad, but already got a Xantech IR distribution amp thingy with IR reciever in the lounge, and that's all working fine from the lounge.

But there's been a couple of occasions when I've added other temporary kit to AVS on the front of the media box, that this has been a problem. For example my wife has an Epson P2000 (hard disk photo storage device with screen), which she uses to store photos on, when you connect this via video out into AVS, it's screen goes blank, so to navigate through the menus on it I have to shout next door to see whats on the screen, and navigate appropriately - it doesn't have a remote control sadly, otherwise I'd wire it in vi Xantech.

4. theendisnye

theendisnye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not use a CCTV to warch what is on the main screen in the other room connected to a small portable TV?

Steve