1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Joe Pineapples, May 25, 2005.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    Do any of the EPG systems (other than $ky+) support a feature whereby you can tell it to automatically record a program, recognised by its name. So that if broadcast, regardless of time or channel, the recorder will do the business?.

My thougths were actually prompted by forgeting to tape at least half the Munsters episodes, they've been showing (on BBC2 recently.)

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I assume your question relates to a separate Freeview box and DVD recorder. If so then the answer is "yes", except you won't be able to record in RGB quality if you set it up this way.

The Panasonic DMR E95 - and probably lots of other recorders - can be set up to start recording when they receive a special signal on one of the Scart pins. My Freeview box (a Netgem iPlayer, which unfortunately only has "now and next" and no 7-day EPG) can be set up to send this special signal whenever a timer is due. However, the Scart pin that this signal uses is used for something else in RGB Scarts. So, you'll only be able to do this if you're happy to record in S-Video or composite quality.

No doubt as DVD recorders with built-in Freeview tuners start to appear they will have the functionality that you require without all this messing about.

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes, but "Joe" was specifically asking can you set a timer to record every episode of "The Munsters", regardless of when it is on. I don't know of any Freeview box that does this.. I know Tivo does.
    My Freeview box has a 7 day EPG, so I can set a timer on that for a specific episode of "The Munsters" within the next week, but I can't set one for "The Munsters" all the time regardless of the date and time it is on.

Mark

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +847
    Thanks for the reples.

I am hoping that something like this, will be implemented in the next generation of hard disk-dvd recorders, since i intend getting one towards the end of this year. Glad to hear that the Tivo can already do it, and that it is not just wishful thiniking by myself :)