1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this possible? (Xbox/Sky/LCD/HTPC)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mark88, Oct 30, 2004.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Im at the point where I have a few major upgrades to do. I need to upgrade my TV, my PC monitor and my DVD player. For the PC monitor I was looking at the Apple Cinema Displays 20 or 23", for the TV I was looking at 26" LCDs. Then I started to wonder if it would be possible that I could manage with just one LCD, it seems a waste to have two large LCDs right next to each other if one can do the job of both. The room these are few is not the living room but a bedroom where I also work and watch TV.

Ideally it would be nice to just buy an LCD TV that would double as a PC monitor, but sadly there's no way(at all) that I can live with a desktop resolution of anything less than 1280x1024!

So, I was wondering wheter I could just buy a 23" Apple Cinema Display ( widescreen native 1920 x 1200 DVI ) and use this as both a PC monitor and a TV. I would also need the TV to be able to display Sky Digital, and Xbox Hi-def via either Component or VGA.

I realise this may require purchase of a few adaptors, and possibly even a new graphics card but it all possible? my knowledge regarding HTPC is quite limited. One thing I don't even know is, is it even possible to shut the HTPC down via a remote control? like you would turn your TV off?

2. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97