Is this possible on HCPC yet ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jimbob19, Jun 23, 2004.

1. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I want to get rid of my Tivo , DVD player etc
    I would like to replace all with a HCPC , however I have a few requirements.
    I would like to be able to watch something already recorded on the HCPC whilst it is recording from my NTL digital feed. I would also like to be able to copy programs of to dvd and also save my DV camcorder stuff on dvd.
    I would like not to have to use any sort of recompiling of the source I want to save of to DVD .
    I suppose what I am essentialy after is a TIVO , DVD player and DVD recorder all in one - but easy to use. And linked to a HD TV and use Dscaler to process the signal
    I dont know if the current s/w h/w available at the moment allows all these ?

Thanks

2. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Up for the day

BTW has anyone succesfully used Sage2 without any hangs or issues ?
    My brother in law has installed it , but it locks up all over the place , he also could not get xmltv import working properly :mad:

This doesn't bode well for me convincing the wife I should get a HCPC to replace my TIVO

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Take a look at some of the PVR software currently available. 2 I can immediately think of are

Snapstream and Showshifter

4. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Have seen both of those - however Sage V2 looks like it might be a better option. Can anyone tell me if they are using this setup succesfully on a plasma i.e. just a htpc for output , used as their daily normal TV and home entertainment

Thanks

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Well I'm not using Sage but I am using an HTPC almost exclusively with my plasma and projector ( typing this on it) . I use a nebula card for TV and PVR duties ( although its a freeview tuner so no use to you).
    I use a sweetspot card for outside sources ( Xbox, dvd player for video originated material as the deinterlacing is better in Dscaler, SVHS deck (rarely used) and a standalone freeview digibox for when the nebula is recording and I want to watch a different channel.
    Normal dvd viewing is through theatertek software player. (with Reclock)

And its a bit of a beast so I'll be using it for gaming once the projector is permanently installed.

6. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the Reply MR.D - tell me does it pass the wife test though ?

Kids are no problem , theyre very tech savy , but the wife has taken a year to learn the TIVO :laugh:

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Once its booted up it runs myHTPC which is a frontend gui program . This presents the user with a handful of large clearly marked buttons : DVD , TV , CD , PHOTOs etc.

Clicking the button runs the relevant executable: ie DVD runs theatertek , TV runs DigiTV on the Nebula.

The only thing thats a little tricky on mine is the external sources : 3 of which are running through RGB into the sweetspot. The dvd player is the master if you like with the Xbox and freeview box selectable through a switchbox which then loops through the dvd player when in stand-by.

This feed then goes through an RGB to svideo convertor ( mk2 with the RGB loopthough). S-video goes direct to the plasma for ease of use if my wife doesn't want to use the HTPC or if I take the HTPC away for tweaking the kids can still watch the TV on it.

The RGB loopthrough goes to the HTPC via the sweetspot card.

Since upgarding the machine last week and moving to XP pro from W2K the machine has become a littel clunky: functionally everything still works the same as before but it takes longer to boot and certain things habve become a little twitchy: only a matter of time before I get it smooth though.