• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is this plain stupid - or do some fools actually buy this?

scoobysti

Established Member
joking aside, having a box does increase the item value by quite alot:smashin:

G

gpl1968

A few years back, a plain cardboard box was put up for auction.
It was completely empty and all it had on the outside was the original shipping label.
It had originally contained a Sears christmas toy train set from 1963.
The winning bidder paid...........$5000.

chrissyman

Established Member
Well its a hell of a nice box i must say' still some things like say corgy die cast models are worth so much more if they have the original box!

G

gpl1968

Well its a hell of a nice box i must say' still some things like say corgy die cast models are worth so much more if they have the original box!

Yes, there are lots of people looking for the right box for their models.
For certain model locos, the right box can add hundreds of pounds to the value.

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
Certainly if you had some TAG kit that needed shipping (say to IAG for repair) then original TAG packaging would of course be ideal, as it is designed for that job. And considering the value of the kit that it would be protecting, £20 seems quite reasonable.

dazsti

Established Member
it says that Tag used to charge £80 for the boxes -now that surely is a joke!:rolleyes:

mossy2103

Distinguished Member
it says that Tag used to charge £80 for the boxes -now that surely is a joke!:rolleyes:
I seem to recall that, if you needed to send some TAG gear back to TAG, and you did not have the original packaging, they would sell you replacements for that price, yes.

However, the boxes were very well-made, as was the internal foam stuff. Although it appeared extortionate (well, it was), when compared alongside a piece of TAG kit costing maybe £4500 or more, it was chickenfeed.

GrahamMG

Prominent Member
I just threw away several boxes for an AV32DP, AV192R, PPA20, VSM PSU, 100x5R, 250x3R, DVD32R, T32DAB, AV32R........ The loft space was more important really, they were great boxes but after 8 or so years gathering dust and the fact that I'll only get rid of the kit when it breaks I just didn't see the point in keeping them anymore. At least recycling them made some sense.....
Interesting about the prices though, I know a 42" plasma carton with packaging is only £33ish inc vat and delivery from the manufacturer, can't see any hifi box costing more (assuming they would sell at cost) as it is a bit obscene to make a profit out of one after the customer has bought the kit.....

Maybe I should have put the TAG boxes up on e-bay and retired on the proceeds eh:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I had fun reading through all the original literature though before binning it.....

Mr_Orange

Prominent Member
I just threw away several boxes for an AV32DP, AV192R, PPA20, VSM PSU, 100x5R, 250x3R, DVD32R, T32DAB, AV32R........

That lot represents quite a few pennies worth of gear!!!

I noticed you replied on another thread about the T32R DAB. I keep looking out for a 2nd hand one of these, but how does the DAB module compare to my existing Pure Digital 701ES?

I don't bother with FM any more, so I'm only interested in the DAB comparison.

Thanks.

GrahamMG

Prominent Member
That lot represents quite a few pennies worth of gear!!!

I noticed you replied on another thread about the T32R DAB. I keep looking out for a 2nd hand one of these, but how does the DAB module compare to my existing Pure Digital 701ES?

I don't bother with FM any more, so I'm only interested in the DAB comparison.

Thanks.
The T32DAB was a very good unit and of course a perfect match for other TMA gear. The "problem" is that these days the DAB signal is so limited that if you had a good FM signal it would probably be more hifi...... Those that know me from the old days will remember the fights I used to have around the board room table trying to keep the bit rates up.... DAB @ 256k was pretty good and "almost CD quality", these days you are lucky to find anything at 128k......most are 64k......

Mr_Orange

Prominent Member
The T32DAB was a very good unit and of course a perfect match for other TMA gear. The "problem" is that these days the DAB signal is so limited that if you had a good FM signal it would probably be more hifi...... Those that know me from the old days will remember the fights I used to have around the board room table trying to keep the bit rates up.... DAB @ 256k was pretty good and "almost CD quality", these days you are lucky to find anything at 128k......most are 64k......

Thanks Graham. I think I will give up on my search. I don't have any other TMA gear for it to match and it doesn't seem worth it for DAB alone. I have an FM aerial, but my current tuner is DAB only, so I don't what sort of quality I can get - probably good since I'm in a city with a good views to the transmitters.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom