Is this PC spec OK

Vinesh

Hi

I have spec'd up the following PC but cannot decide on the graphics card.

Would you guys go for a normal Bluray Drive or Blu Ray Writer?

BR Writers are around £85. Is it best to hold and wait for the prices to drop?

Usage -

AVCHD video editing 30%
Archive Blu Rays 50%
General Use 20%

Spec'd on Scan Computers.

LN29630

Xigmatek Asgard Black, Mid Tower, ATX Case with 4x5.25" 6x3.5" Bays inc 120mm Fan, No PSU

LN32202

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.50V

LN34338

Asus P7H55-M/USB3, Intel H55, S 1156, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 2200(OC), SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, mATX

LN34549

Intel i5 760, S1156, Lynnfield Quad Core, 2.8 GHz, 8MB Cache, Core Ratio 21x, 95W, Retail £123.15 £144.70

LN35692

500W Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK Builder Series, 80% Eff', 120mm Fan, Single Rail, ATX £39.95 £46.94

I will use my exisiting H/D's.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Would you guys go for a normal Bluray Drive or Blu Ray Writer?

BR Writers are around £85. Is it best to hold and wait for the prices to drop?

That depends on whether you're likely to use it straight away and whether you can be bothered to install one later. I'd imagine they'll drop to £30-40 within another year or two, although the price of the disks is still the real killer.

If archiving blu-rays is your primary use and likely to stay that way then it may be worth waiting for a writer as read speeds could well go up too.

Graphics card will make no difference for general use or blu-ray archival so that comes down to what sort and brand of card your AVCHD editing software can make best use of.

The rest of it looks OK at a glance, although the power supply will be rather on the beefy side if you don't end up going for a high end card.

Vinesh

That depends on whether you're likely to use it straight away and whether you can be bothered to install one later. I'd imagine they'll drop to £30-40 within another year or two, although the price of the disks is still the real killer.

If archiving blu-rays is your primary use and likely to stay that way then it may be worth waiting for a writer as read speeds could well go up too.

Graphics card will make no difference for general use or blu-ray archival so that comes down to what sort and brand of card your AVCHD editing software can make best use of.

The rest of it looks OK at a glance, although the power supply will be rather on the beefy side if you don't end up going for a high end card.

I will be using this PC to edit AVCHD recordings from my Panasonic (1080p/50)

I think I will wait for BR-RW to come down in price.

As the PSU is on the beefy side, I will get a cheaper PSU and go for a better graphics card.

Does it matter on which graphics card I use for AVCHD.

Also this will be connected to U2311H (23" - Res 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz)

The latest video from AVForums

Philips OLED807 Review, The High Price of Hi-Fi, Video Processors plus AV / HiFi News & More
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom