Is this ok for my needs?

gilford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
First time I have seen one of those. Looks like it should do the job. Shouldnt think you would get a picture if both sources were on though, worth a try its cheap enough. Let us all know the result wont you.

Well, the auction listing says:
This is NOT a SWITCH, this will SPLIT a signal, not combine 2 signals into one.

I dont want to combine the signals, I would only ever have the one on.

I was just worried it could damage something if both were on at the same time?

I realise that, but my money would be on it not doing what you want it to do. I would read it as saying:

This is NOT a SWITCH, this will SPLIT a single video signal into two, not allow to video sources to be connected to one HDMI port.

It strikes me as something more suitable for, say, outputting a HDMI DVD player signal on two displays with HDMI inputs - not exactly what you're after. Of course, I could be entirely incorrect about that.

Out of interest, have you tried asking the seller this question?

not sure if its going to work that way round mate, the idea of this thing is to say plug your dvd into the single end and run 2 displays from one source. not 2 sources into one display

I have tried asking the seller but no response and there is only one left :(

I get what you are saying about outputting to 2 Plasma's but its 2 females to 1 male so how would that work? Surely it would be the other way round?

It's advertised as a splitter, not a switch, so one has to assume that it does what the seller claims. The description seems fairly clear to me: whether it works the other way around is anyone's guess.

The only option you have now is to suck it and see.

Better off bidding £30 on one of these, theres loads, you'll bound to snag one ?

If on a really tight budget buy another short HDMI Cable & one of these, it will bring the socket to the front for really easy manual switching?

:thumbsup:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It is a male to two female sockets. This means that you can plug in your skyHD box and your HD-A1 into the splitter and then plug that into your TV.

This is so you can use both without having to keep plugging and unplugging your seperate connections.

However make sure that you only have one switched on at a time as you will not get anything with them both switched on and I am unsure also if it would cause any damage.

So the answer to your question is: YES:thumbsup:

no its not mate. Why would this be the case? This isnt how a VGA splitter works is it. It does not switch from one source to another. Its not just a case of turning one off and another one on!!

Its 2 females because you plug your 2 HDMI Cables into the females!!! How is this not blindingly obvious?
Example

HD-DVD
HDMI Splitter
1st Female connection: HDMI cable to LCD TV
2nd Female connection: HDMI cable to projector

Understand?

Due to HDMI being a two way communication mechanism, if you send two signals to the display at once you could damage the display and both your source devices.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom