1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This normal

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The 9th Doctor, Dec 10, 2003.

1. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just purchased a new 5.1 surround system and there are just three connections on the amp for DVD sound input.

The connections are front, rear, centre\Sub W. The cables that come with the AMP combines two cables from the DVD to one to plug into the AMP.

Does this mean that I will hear the same sound coming out of the front two speakers, same sound out of back two speakers, etc?

Or is the AMP clever and can decode the signal back to each individual speaker?

2. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Are you sure it's 5.1 and not Dolby Pro logic? That has mono surrounds, unless it can actually split the signal like you say into the two speakers.
    Which model amp is it?

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Perhaps you tell us what amp it is and then we can figure out the answer.
    (If said amp has specialized connections which can carry two seperate signals then it can work.)

4. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a AudioTech system CE2246. I can't find any modal number but it is silver in colour and has 25w speakers with 50w Sub W.

On the box it says 5.1 Home cinema system. Not sure if it has a DTS badge but I thought 5.1 must be DTS ?

5. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have also been looking on the NET and I can't even find the main AudioTech site, are they still around ?

6. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Not necessarily - it could be Dolby Digital 5.1 and not DTS.

7. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    my guess would be the inputs on your amp are the 1/8th inch jacks commonly used by personal stereos and computers. thus the front is left and right, centre/sub is, you guessed it, centre and sub, and rear is rear left and right. i think its probably as simple as that. no fancy decoding, just stereo jack plugs.

i would have thought there would be some labelling on the (presumably) phono plug end that you connect to the dvd player to help you indentify which is which.

8. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if there is a signal coming from the left front channel and right front channel they would be merged and played through both speakers at the same time?

Is that possible?

I will check any badges when I get home tonight

9. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One more question can you play the same sound through the sub W and centre speaker at the same time ?

10. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    no they are separate signals, so you still have 5.1 separate channels, its just they are wired in (if im right) using stereo headphone type jack plugs. your DVD player, i also presume, has the individual outputs for left, centre, right, rear left, rear right and sub.

im not sure what you mean with your last question - but if it relates to your previous one about the two channels being merged, then i would think you need not worry about that.

check your cables, make sure they are labelled up.. and connect up appropriately

11. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chrisgeary,

Thanks for your help; yes they are headphone like jacks.

I have not bought the DVD player yet which is why I am trying to be clear about what to buy or to even send the 5.1 systems back. But the manual with the 5.1 systems does show 6 channels coming out of the DVD player.

Thinking about it further you can hear a stereo sound from headphones so this type of cable must be able to carry two separate signals.

Hopefully I will be able find a DTS badge somewhere on the box.

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    It sounds to me like your system is just a set of speakers with amps. All decoding would be done by the DVD player. Therefore as long as the DVD player has both DD & DTS then you will be able to decode & listen to both.
    If the amp did the decoding you would connect the DVD to it via a digital coax or optical lead.

Therefore I would be surprised if the amp/speakers had either a Dolby or DTS badge.

Mark.

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Headphone jacks can carry stereo, you should see 3 silver-coloured contacts separated by black plastic rings at the tip.
    Using 3 special adapter cables you could thus indeed get 5.1 sound from a DVD player - but for DTS you have to make sure the player does have a DTS decoder. Be aware of the DTS badge, sometimes there is a small "out" below it, which means you can only get DTS via the digital (optical or coaxial) outputs.

14. The 9th Doctor

The 9th Doctor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I bought a new DVD player last night, wired it all up, fiddle about with the settings and around 10 O'clock I had full 5.1 surround playing.

It is fantastic, I have heard people talking about being surrounded by sound but it is only when you hear it for real you can appreciate how good this is. I would say that this is better sound quality then the cinema. I also done it all for less than £110.

Just a quick thanks to everyone who replied to my messages. It would have taken me weeks to work everything out by myself.

15. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Glad you like it!

You'll be needing to upgrade in a few weeks though - especially now you're on the forums :D