Is this normal with the Sky+ Amstrad box?

Phragzy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I had Sky+ installed last week, all ok but i've noticed a weird problem with the box. Basically when the box is off it's quiet as anything and when you turn it on it gives a lil beep and then the fans start going which i'm completely fine with. My problem is that i turn the box off and after a few seconds it wil shut off completely and be quiet but then for some reason in the night the beep will sound and the fans will start going again and well can continue for most of the night (all the time the red light on the box is still on). Any idea why the box is doing this? i see no reason why the fans should be on when the box is in standby, it's very annoying especially when your trying to sleep as all you can hear is this humming sound.

I wonder if Sky are downloading firmware updates?

Or perhaps they are uploading info eg your viewing pattern?

PJTX100 said:

That's what i thought and you may be right because it doesn't happen every night. Just found out Dragons Den failed to record last night, it's weird because that was on just after 11 and i remember the box coming on at like 10:45. I got up at like 2:30am and noticed the record button was still on., didn't think much of it as i was so sleepby but shouldn't this of switched off after Dragons Den?. A Sky engineer is coming out today to look at something else, ill have a word with him.

Mine does this a couple of times during the day. It beeps and then the hard drive sounds like its booting up, and after a minute it goes all quiet again.

PJTX100 said:

There is no way (unless they ask your permission, pay you and fit special kit) that any information goes back to Sky other than any PPV events/movies to be charged AND the obligatory occasional "dial home" from multiroom subscriptions. This is a common false "urban myth" that has been going round for sometime.:cool:

I had Amstrad and only accepted the problems for 4 days, They came out and replaced it with a Pace box - and touch wood it has been ok.

Apart from one very annoying thing related to sound which I was going to start a thread on.

An engineer came out to sort something else out and i asked him about it, he basically apologised and explained it's the norm. I'm going to monitor it, i don't mind it coming on during the day but not at night and i'm not willing to keep unplugging it at the mains.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom