Is this normal for plasmas?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by seja, Jun 7, 2008.

1. seja

seja
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a Panasonic TH42PZ85 plasma and I have a question you might help me out with :)

Is it normal to get a bit lighter picture in top and bottom on plasmas?

When it is black background I think I can see a soft white, perhaps 1 cm, horizontal line at the top and the bottom of the picture. My girlfriend dosen't see this, so perhaps I'm examening too much. It dosen't matter if I have overscan set to off or on.

It is difficult to explain since I'm new to this, but I hope you understand :)

2. SyStemDeMoN

SyStemDeMoN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    no this is not normal. if it was just on freeview, and overscan did fix the prob, then it would be fine. ive had 2 plasmas, and neither displayed the fault u describe.

hope it helps!

3. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Not that unusual on an LCD where it is usually caused by light bleed from the back light at the screen edge but a weird one on a plasma.

Is it new?

I ask because the only thing I can think of quickly is if you have had the display a long time and/or watch a lot of movies that are letterboxed even on a widescreen display (anything in 2.35:1 etc, which would be many movies) then it is at least possible that the asymetric ware could leave the areas normally balck at the top and bottom slightly brighter than the rest of the screen.

It is a fact of the nature of the technology that plasma cells degrade with use, it's what is responsible for screen burn. Though things have improved greatly since the early days, it is still to be expected that a plasma will slowly get dimmer over the years of use. So long as the dimming is all over the screen it's not something you are likely to notice except when you turn up the brightness setting a point or two every year.

4. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    That was my first thought too. It must be fairly new as it's a PZ85